Wireless not working and starting "diagnostic policy service" gives error 1053

Hi,

I have an issue regarding connecting to wireless internet. The router works since I can get online from other computer and iphone. The issue seems to be my laptop.

Laptop: Sony Vaio VPCEA
Windows 7 Home Premium

I could connect to the wireless using this laptop last night but today somehow it has stopped working. When I try to connect it says "Limited access". I tried restarting, removing the wireless network from memory, and of course googling, but nothing seems to work.

When I tried to troubleshoot the problem, it says "The diagnostics policy service is not running". So I went into Services and tried to turn on (START) "Diagnostic Policy Service" but that gives me "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion". I read online to install .Net Framework 1.1 service pack 1 to get rid of this problem. But that is not supported by Windows 7, plus I have Framework 4.0 installed, which should have taken care of this issue.

Another suggestion was to disable firewall and what I noticed was that my firewall was already disabled and I can't turn it on. I had external anti-virus software, which I removed to fix this problem but nothing works!!! When I tried to turn on Windows Firewall from the "Services" I get an error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start. The dependency are: Base Filtering Engine and Windows Firewall Authorization Driver. Both of which fail to start.

I tried fixing registry using Wise Registry Cleaner. It cleaned something but has not fixed any of the problems yet.

PLEASE HELP. I AM FRUSTRATED!!

Thanks in advance!
Answer
Answer

Hi bberringer,

The original post was able to resolve error 1053 by reinstalling Windows. If you have not reinstalled Windows, I would suggest following the steps below before spending money on circuit board. If you have already attempt to reinstall Windows and that still failed, I would suggest searching the internet (or the manufacturer's website if your computer is a Dell, HP, Acer, etc) for the same or a compatible circuit board as the prices may vary depending on your computer make and model.

Dena

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2022 Views 17,973 Applies to: