Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings

Recently, I have noticed a small caution triangle appearing with my network icon on the task bar. When I right click and troubleshoot, it comes with this message. Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings. My internet has been very slow lately, but I'm wondering if this is a problem with my network? or is this something that my ISP has to fix?
Answer
Answer
(This post is intended for all reporting the problem)

Check Internet Options (from Control Panel or Internet Explorer Tools / Options  /Connections Tab / LAN Settings and make sure Proxy Server is unchecked even if using Firefox.  Check settings in Firefox in Tools / Options /Advanced Connections / Settings  (should be either use system proxy settings or no proxy).

Check for malware especially using malwarebytes.

Try  these two commands in that order in an elevated command prompt.  Do the first one first then reboot and try.  If still bad try the second.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ipv4 reset

If these don't help, please post the output of an ipconfig /all command
Technician / Consultant

933 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I had the same problem this morning--couldn't connect on one computer but could on the other.  Got the same message about not being able to detect the proxy settings.  However, I used System Restore to reverse some changes that had happened during the night and that corrected the problem.

933 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 756,729 Applies to: