Steak247
Had this question 337
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
Steak247 asked on

Windows 7 wireless connection problem - No Wireless Connections Available

I have just changed from Vista Home to Windows 7 Professional on my laptop. The laptop will access the internet with a wired connection only. It now indicates there are no wireless networks to join even though my is one of 50 in the area. I asked Windows to diagnose the problem but it has no suggestions.

Thank you.

Kevin Hau
Found this helpful 24
Answer
Kevin Hau replied on
Microsoft Forum Moderator

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for the active discussion in this thread, and I would like to jump in and see if I can help address the multiple issues that seem to be covered in here.   I would also like to take the opportunity to thank Barb Bowman (MVP) for their efforts in this thread to date 

For a full list of steps to try, see the Wired and Wireless Tutorial on this page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/wired-and-wireless-network-connection-problems-in-windows

After reading through the thread, there appears to be some confusion regarding Wireless Networking technologies and configurations using Windows 7 and I would like to spend some time to try and clear things up with some basic troubleshooting / best practices for Wireless Network related issues.

1.       First try and power off your modem, router and desktop/laptop. Then power on the modem, then the router, and then finally the desktop/laptop. Please do this in that order, allowing 60 seconds in between each device to enable the device to be fully booted and able to accept connections.

2.       Update the drivers for your wireless network adapter via Windows Update, or by using the website for either the company you bought your PC/Laptop from or the manufacturer of your networking device.

3.       Ensure that your router is set to broadcast it’s network name (SSID), ensure that you are connecting to the correct wireless network (SSID) and that you are using the correct WEP/WPA  passkey on both devices.

a.       Please use “Windows Connect Now” or “Wi-Fi Protected Setup” if available on your wireless router to ensure that the connection is setup correctly.

4.       If you are trying to use WPA or WPA2, please ensure that both your network adapter and wireless router support this protocol. If you are having issues detecting your wireless network when using WPA or WPA2, try configuring your router to use WEP instead and see if you can connect.

a.       Please note that the change between WEP/WPA/WPA2 will need to be made on both your computer and wireless router.

b.      If you are only able to connect using WEP, then your networking hardware may need a firmware upgrade. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, please call your hardware/router manufacturer for help in doing this.

5.       If you are having a problem with your wireless connection after resuming from hibernate or sleep, or are having intermittent connectivity issues, try to adjust your Power Management profile to change your Wireless Adapter Settings to Maximum Performance.

a.       To do this click “Change Plan Settings” next to your Power Profile, and choose “Wireless Adapter Settings” and set it to Maximum Performance. You should do this with all of your power profiles. Additional guidance is available here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/power-management

6.       Call the support line for your router manufacturer. It is likely that neither Windows nor the router are having problems, it is simply an issue of getting the configuration settings on both set up to work correctly together. The router manufacturer will be the best resource to know how to configure their device.  Most of the contact numbers are listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/vendors/en-us

For more information please see the following links:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Why-can-t-I-connect-to-a-network

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/set-up-a-wireless-router

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Add-a-device-or-computer-to-a-network

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Wireless-networking-frequently-asked-questions

I will continue to monitor this thread but will likely end up splitting this thread into individual smaller threads to address the various different issues that have been mentioned so far.

If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Kevin

If you find that my answer was what you were looking for, please remember to click the "mark as answer" box below!
I'm a PC!
MarkKaz
Found this helpful 4
Answer
MarkKaz replied on

Thanks for the help!

I am now able to "see" the wireless connections but not connect when I click to access the connection.

Friends who visit with their PC's can access my home wireless after they login with the password if they are using Windows XP and/or Vista.

My Windows 7 is still an enigma!

Spent $99 and 1/2 day with Microsoft online tech support without a solution!!!!

Upgrade to Windows 7 has been a "bummer" --- may have to go back to XP or Vista if Microsoft does not provide an update fix.

Again, thanks for the assist!

SOLVED Just signed up to perhaps help the miriad of stressed people as I was. I had 5 computers connected to home network combination of Vista and XP - no network problems. Bought new laptop with Win 7. Connected fine to network.

Left laptop alone for week or so - didn't even turn it off and when I tried to start it up - no network connection possible! Could still "see" network but wireless just would continually try to connect without success. Attached a ethernet cable from router to laptop and it connects fine - just no wireless.

Messed around with aes, tkip, antivirus plus heaps of other suggestions. But the solution was to upgrade the firmware on my router. Downloaded it from tplink website and opened the routers setting webpage and uploaded the newest firmware.

There's no doubt it is a Win7 problem as the old firmware works fine with xp, vista but they don't tell you this when selling you win7 and you spend heaps of time trying to find these solutions. I didn't try system restore but this would've been my next step as the win7 did work for a couple of weeks before it went down, so it has to be some kind of update or something that conflicted with the router after previously working.

Hope this helps someone.
Naman R
Found this helpful 10
Naman R replied on
Microsoft Support Engineer

Hi Steak247,

Welcome to Microsoft answers.

This might be the problem with the drivers for the network adapter on the computer; Click Start>> type in Device Manager in the Start Search >> expand the Network Adapters in the Device Manager >> right click the Network Adapter >> click on Properties>> click on driver tab >> click on Update Drivers>> click OK.

If the issue still persists, I suggest that you install the latest drivers for the manufacturer’s website and check.

Let me know if this worked.

Swathi B  - Microsoft Support.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

kai.saowanee
Found this helpful 7
kai.saowanee replied on

I have a brand new laptop with the same problem.  Windows 7 won't connect to wireless networks that use wpa2.  My drivers are up to date.  I've tried all sorts of things but it seems that this is a fault in windows 7, when are they going to fix it?
hoskinsjt
Found this helpful 5
hoskinsjt replied on

I've also experienced problems with a brand new laptop running Windows 7.  I'm able to connect to our home wireless network, but whenever I try to download any decent size file, the connection drops.  Any suggestions.
2010TicketGuru
Found this helpful 2
2010TicketGuru replied on

I have been reading a number of threads on this topic but most are unanswered. There is no conclusion about the route cause of the issue :-/

I upgraded a Vista Home Pro machine to Win 7 Ultimate, 32bit Build 7100
After the upgrade the machine will no longer connect to my wireless network. The router is relitavely new and has been working fine with the Vista machine.

I have also got a Dell XPS1530 (all the latest drivers) that has been running win7 for the past 3 months. It has been able to connect to the wlan, but when the machine goes into sleep mode and you log in again, it cannot connect to the network. Not error message thrown, it simply does not connect. Restating windows solved this and you could connect perfectly until the next 'sleep mode' incident...

After going through some threads, I read that WEP allows the machines to connect. I tried this but had no success.
In the process of changing the router from WPA to WEP and back again, the Dell has stopped connecting :(
The error message I get now on both is: "Network Security Key Mismatch". but this is false as the key is the same as it always has been.

So now i have 2 win7 machines incapable of connecting to my wireless network.

Please could someone offer their advise on how to resolve this issue. I read that RC2 solved some of these issues, but I don't particularly feel like downloading gigs for nothing!
techdad58
Found this helpful 4
techdad58 replied on

Hi All,
    I recently purchased 8 new Dell laptops for my company, an Inspiron, an e4300, and six e5500's. I've experienced that exact same error on three of the machines I've configured so far. The wireless networking works fine "out of the box", after an initial build and also works fine after I upgrade to Windows 7 Enterprise. The issue seems to occur after I run Windows update. After update runs and restarts the system the wireless networking shuts off. Exact same symptoms, "no wireless networks are available" even though I sit right under an access point. Device manager says "the device is working properly" for the wLan card and I've downloaded and installed the most recent drivers from Dell specific to Windows 7. NADA! Looks like it should be working, but the wireless lan card cannot recognize any wireless networks.
    I do not know exactly which patch is causing the issue, but I intend to downgrade all my systems to XP Pro for current deployments then install the patches one at a time on a newly built e5500 until the system breaks and test that patch deployment to validate which patch is causing the problem. Any help from Microsoft or Dell here would be very appreciated!

Jim Greeley MCP

Update:
    I just had the same issue on XP Pro installed on a Dell e4300. This was a two hour old system. After Windows update... BAM! No wireless access. I uninstalled several "Hot Fixes". When I uninstalled this: "WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB963093-x86-ENU.exe" the wireless came right back to life. I will do the same test on my Vista systems and Windows 7 systems and let you all know if this is indeed the fix.

This is the fix: Removed "Windows Search Assistant 4.0" and the security patch, "WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB963093-x86-ENU.exe" for the "Search Assistant". Then I ran Microsoft update and "de-selected" those two items from the "Advanced" list so they become "Hidden".
POOF! Wireless started working again without issue.
IDraemel
Found this helpful 2
IDraemel replied on
I found that if you are trying to connect to a wireless network with a hidden SSID, Win7 has trouble connecting at first.  Try either broadcast your SSID, or if you really want to keep the SSID non-broadcasting, try this: Turn on Broadcasting, discover the network, enter your key-paraphrase and connect.  Next, turn off the SSID broadcast.  This has worked for me, even after multiple re-boots.  Also, you might want to checkout Microsoft's article on non-broadcasting wireless networks.  It convinced me to go ahead and broadcast my SSID.

Hope this helps.
Gloria Boyer
Found this helpful 4
Gloria Boyer replied on

Hi folks. If you're using an 802.11N router, there might be issues with WPA-TKIP security. I've been told that the final version of 802.11N dropped support for WPA-TKIP. Try switching to WPA2-AES and see if that helps.

The broadcasting issue that IDraemel brought up is important. It's somewhat counterintuitive. Here's the page that talks about the dangers of hidden networks:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-are-the-risks-of-connecting-to-a-hidden-network

Thanks for posting,
Gloria

Found this helpful 2
Navy IT replied on

@Gloria, your suggestion worked (changing to WPA2-AES vice WPA2-TKIP+AES) on my wireless router.  I've gone from no connectivity to restored connectivity until I try to stream media (watch a movie or download music, even when using a third party download software like, GET RIGHT).  I ran a ping -t and showed latency to my wireless router right when the site to be streamed is encountered.  Is this just an IE 8 issue?  Is there a patch in the works?  When I use firefox v3.5, I don't have any issues streaming. I have a brand new MSi laptop running an fully updated version of WIN7. 

Thanks
Jason 

Swissdiss
Found this helpful 4
Swissdiss replied on

Hey guys, I'm having the same issue. Brand new Acer Aspire 6530 laptop with Windows Vista/Recent upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. Ever since the windows update on Tuesday (Dec 8th) evening, I have not been able to use my wireless connection (I can connect hardwired) and have tried restoring to a previous date, uninstalling the updates, updating my network adapter drivers, removing the drivers, and other various fixes I've read. The problem it has detected and I quote: "Wireless Network Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. When I first did the diagnostic, it gave me this error, and I have yet to find something to fix this. Please help ASAP.

If it at all helps:
Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter
Linksys Wireless B broadband router model # BEFW11S4 ver 4
revelationspace
Found this helpful 4
revelationspace replied on

Hi all,

I too had this issue - switched from BT to Virgin Media 5 days ago. My XP laptop connected fine, my Windows 7 laptop refused to play ball. In fact it would connect to my home network eventually but said 'no internet access'. After several frustrating calls to Virgin who wanted me to phone their £1.50 a minute helpline I found the problem - Windows 7 has two versions of the TCP/IP client and one of these was trying to use a fixed DNS server address. So after making sure IPv4 and IPv6 both obtained their DNS server addresses automatically I was in business.
Hope this helps someone else!

Previous Previous Page of 51 Next Next