Windows 7 occasionally drops the wireless connection

I recently upgraded to Windows 7, but now I'm having a problem with my internet connection.  My wireless signal will intermittently drop from all five bars to four, and moments later display a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it.  At this point the connection is gone entirely, and I need to reboot to restore it.  Not only that, but the computer won't shut down in the normal way, so I have to hold down the power button to shut it down.  I know this isn't particularly good for my computer, but it pales in comparison to the annoyance of an unreliable signal.  Sometimes the signal will last for a few hours at a time, but sometimes I have to reboot less than five minutes after turning my computer on in the first place.  Also, sometimes when the signal drops in this manner my computer gets extremely sluggish (so slow I can't even close the browser window) before freezing altogether.

It seems like this problem is exacerbated when the connection is moving a lot of data...for instance, I recently bought the game Mass Effect on Steam, but when I try to download it the connection drops almost immediately.  This is frustrating because I already paid for the game and I'd like to be able to install and play it.

My wireless adapter shows up in Device Manager as a Linksys RangePlus Wireless USB Network Adapter.  The model number is WUSB100.  I've tried updating the driver through Device Manager, but it seems to think it's current.  I'd really like a solution to this issue.  It's not the first one I've had since upgrading from the much-maligned Vista, which in fact never gave me any such problems.  I managed to fix the others on my own, but at this point it's been nearly a month since I upgraded and I'm tired of not having a reliable connection.  Thanks very much!

Answer
Answer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

This hotfix so far has atleast fixed this problem for me so far

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2021 Views 137,029 Applies to: