Nels Norske
Had this question 3
Question
Nels Norske asked on

Windows 7 error message 651

I'm running Win 7 64 bit all has been great until recently.  I'm unable to access internet or see other devices on my LAN (ie printers other devices).  I get an error message 651,  I have ethernet to router to modem and get to the internet via Comcast.  Other pcs/laptops on LAN have internet access, no problems.

• Did the Chkdsk - no problems
  • Ran Microsoft Security Essentials full virus scan- no problems
  • Did a restore to a prior date (5/23/2010 - no change
  • Downloaded the raspppoe.sys file onto my laptop - burned a cd and installed on the PC
  • Renamed the old file to raspppoe_orig.sys - did a restart - no change
  • Checked all ethernet cables/connections - no change

I welcome any insight into solving this riddle, as business is closed until I can get back on line.  Thanks much.

Azam K
    Found this helpful 0
    Answer
    Azam K replied on
    Microsoft

Hi,

Step 1:

I would suggest you to run network troubleshooter and check if it helps, here is the link:

Open networking troubleshooters

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-networking-troubleshooters

Step 2:

Disable your antivirus and other security software if you have installed and check as this can interfere with the connection.

Step 3:

Do you have Microsoft Virtual PC installed?

Many users facing the same issue seems to have fixed it by disabling/uninstalling the above. For test purpose you may disable the above feature temporarily and see if there’s any noticeable change.

Step 4:

Disable IPv6 for your connection

Here’s how:

1. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network & Sharing Center > Change adapter settings (in the left pane).
    2. Right-click on the connection you‘re using > Properties > Networking Tab.
    3. Now remove the tick from the IPv6 box.
    4. If it makes no difference, it is completely reversible by ticking the box.

Note: Ensure to enable your antivirus back. Also ensure that you enable the Virtual PC back if it’s not causing the problem.

Step 5:

Try updating the drivers for your modem and check if it helps, go to manufacturer’s website download and try installing it and check.

Here’s a complete list of error codes that you may receive while making dial-up connection.

List of Error Codes that you may receive when you try to make a dial-up connection or a VPN connection in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923944/en-us

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and, if you have any feed backs you can post here.