I am unable to start the service for the Network Service Account name on Windows Server 2008.

Original title :Network Service account name cannot be resolved on French windows properly   

I have a service, which i want to run under network service account on French windows. Computer is not in domain but in workgroup.

Service is installed via installer and uses WinAPI functions to get valid localized account name, which is AUTORITE NT\SERVICE RÉSEAU.

The problem is that service fails to start with next errors in event viewer:

1) Service depends on the Net Logon service which failed to start due to the following error:
The operation was successful.

2) This computer is configured as a member of a workgroup, not as a member of a domain. It is not necessary to perform the service access network in this configuration.

However if i go to Service properties, tab Log On, Browse... button and try to resolve  SERVICE RÉSEAU account, it pastes "Service réseau" value into account field and service successfully starts. Note that it can't resolve full "AUTORITE NT\SERVICE RÉSEAU" name.

Another thing is that when i put computer into domain all the sudden service manages to start with  "AUTORITE NT\SERVICE RÉSEAU" account but system does not convert it into "Service réseau" as it is on English windows.

So is it a bug on French OS? Is there any workaround? How can i programmatically get "converted" version of account name ("AUTORITE NT\SERVICE RÉSEAU" ->  "Service réseau")?

System: Windows 2008 R2 SP1 with latest updates at 1/10/2013

Answer
Answer

Hi Vadim,

I would have you post your query in the TechNet Forums as it caters to an audience of IT professionals.

Your issue would be better addressed over there.

Refer the link-

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 500 Applies to: