error 651 in windows 7
I just purchased a new desktop and installed Windows 7 Profesional.
I was able to connect to the internet via the router, after a lot of messing about and was able to register, activate and update my installation. However, today, when I booted the destop, it wouldn't connct to the internet, or see the othe computers or printer in my home network. Whenever I try to connect, I receive the following :-error 651 and when I run Network Diagnostics, it returns with ""Local Area Connection" does'nt have a valid IP Configuration."
I have swapped the cables between computers and the problem stays with the new box. My laptop wirelessy connects via the router and sees the other devices ok.
Having checked on the intereet, I see that this is a common problem with Win 7 and have already tried the "raspppoe.sys " as suggested by "Shinmila H-Microsoft supprt on social.answers.microsoft.com. to no avail.
Please advise, or Email a hotfix.
Thanks for your attention in this matter.
Could you please answer these below questions?
1. Did you follow all the steps which Shinmila H suggested you to do?
2. Are you using Dial-up or Broadband connection?
First I suggest you to reset tcp/ip on your computer, to do that you may visit the below link.
How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Change TCP/IP settings
I suggest you to Power cycling your Modem and Router might resolve the problem, here are the steps:
1.Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer. Wait for a minute.
2.First, turn your Router off and wait for a couple of minutes.
3.Turn off your modem.
4.Disconnect all the Ethernet cables that are connected to the router and modem and the PC.
5.Reconnect them and ensure that there are no loose connections in between them.
6.Now, switch on your PC and let it boot.
7.Switch on the modem first and after it gets initialized, switch on the router.
You can also try disabling Firewall/Security Software if any, and check if it helps:
I also suggest you to refer this link which talks about the same issue:
Ensure that you enable the Security program on your computer.
Thanks and Regards:
I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
- Reset TCP/IP Settings.
- If using a Laptop, make sure the wireless switch or button is turned on.
- Replace the RAS PPPoE driver:
- Open a Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Select all the code below, then right click it and click Copy:
- TAKEOWN /F "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\raspppoe.sys"
ICACLS "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\raspppoe.sys" /grant administrators:F
- Right click in the Command Prompt window and click Paste.
- Press Enter.
- Once it has finished, close the Command Prompt.
- Go to the following folder:
- Rename the raspppoe.sys file to raspppoe2.sys
- Right click on the following file and click Save Target As / Save link as:
Vista RAS PPPoE Driver.
- Save it in the C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder.
- Restart the computer.
- If using a Modem, obtain the latest driver.
- Reset your router.
- Re-install your network card drivers.
I have had the same problem. I installed AVG Premium Internet Security.
In my case the program thought it was fully installed.
Actually wasn't so, we couldn't disable firewall and solve the same problem.
Suggestion: Try going into command and type ifconfig /all check if you see the mac address
above example: ff-00-ad-1c-ee-fc. If you do not see this anywhere show on the screen it probably means the anti virus is hiding the information. Hence you will not be able to connect to the network.
I have a problem.You said that replacing the RAS PPPoE driver could solve the problem.I did the steps but i don't have the option Save Target As/ Save Ling As.Can you tell me if i have to open the raspppoe2.sys file with a specific program.
* Please try a lower page number.
* Please enter only numbers.