Question

error 651 in windows 7

Ratty2103 asked on
Hi,
I just purchased a new desktop and installed Windows 7 Profesional.
I was able to connect to the internet via the router, after a lot of messing about and was able to register, activate and update my installation. However, today, when I booted the destop, it wouldn't connct to the internet, or see the othe computers or printer in my home network. Whenever I try to connect, I receive the following :-error 651  and when I run Network Diagnostics, it returns with ""Local Area Connection" does'nt have a valid IP Configuration."
I have swapped the cables between computers and the problem stays with the new box. My laptop wirelessy connects via the router and sees the other devices ok.
Having checked on the intereet, I see that this is a common problem with Win 7 and have already tried the "raspppoe.sys " as suggested by "Shinmila H-Microsoft supprt on social.answers.microsoft.com. to no avail.
Please advise, or Email a hotfix.
Thanks for your attention in this matter.
Callum
456 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Nithyananda J replied on

Hi,

Could you please answer these below questions?

1. Did you follow all the steps which Shinmila H suggested you to do?

2. Are you using Dial-up or Broadband connection?

First I suggest you to reset tcp/ip on your computer, to do that you may visit the below link.

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Change TCP/IP settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

I suggest you to Power cycling your Modem and Router might resolve the problem, here are the steps:

1.Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer. Wait for a minute.
2.First, turn your Router off and wait for a couple of minutes.
3.Turn off your modem.
4.Disconnect all the Ethernet cables that are connected to the router and modem and the PC.
5.Reconnect them and ensure that there are no loose connections in between them.
6.Now, switch on your PC and let it boot.
7.Switch on the modem first and after it gets initialized, switch on the router.

You can also try disabling Firewall/Security Software if any, and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

I also suggest you to refer this link which talks about the same issue:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/af815085-fc76-458a-8116-98a06be817ea/

Ensure that you enable the Security program on your computer.

Thanks and Regards:
I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

25 people found this helpful

Abuse history

shallyd replied on
  • Reset TCP/IP Settings.
  • If using a Laptop, make sure the wireless switch or button is turned on.
  • Replace the RAS PPPoE driver:
    1. Open a Command Prompt as Administrator. 
    2. Select all the code below, then right click it and click Copy:
    3. TAKEOWN /F "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\raspppoe.sys"
      ICACLS "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\raspppoe.sys" /grant administrators:F
    4. Right click in the Command Prompt window and click Paste.
    5. Press Enter.
    6. Once it has finished, close the Command Prompt.
    7. Go to the following folder:
      C:\Windows\system32\drivers
    8. Rename the raspppoe.sys file to raspppoe2.sys
    9. Right click on the following file and click Save Target As / Save link as:
      Vista RAS PPPoE Driver.
    10. Save it in the C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder.
    11. Restart the computer.
  • If using a Modem, obtain the latest driver.
  • Reset your router.
  • Re-install your network card drivers.

Fix Error 651 PPPoE Broadband Internet Connection

22 people found this helpful

Abuse history

J-Robin replied on

It worked to get me back on the internet with a broadband connection. Now I am told the computer is trying to connect to a DNS server that doesn't exist, How do I fix that? I do so love wireless!!

11 people found this helpful

Abuse history

HVerma replied on

A very simple way to solve the problem was to go to control panel following location
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
Right click on broadband connections [WAN Miniport(PPPOE)] and un-check set as default.
51 people found this helpful

Abuse history

akasharora replied on

In the 9th step can you please tell me which file are you talking about
10 people found this helpful

Abuse history

paulseaborn replied on
if you have error 651 and can not sort out what to do,all's you have to do is go to your laptop or decktop provider check on there site for the drivers that you require and download,more often than not the driver that your using is for the older system before you updated
3 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Robert_Klein replied on

I have had the same problem. I installed AVG Premium Internet Security.

In my case the program thought it was fully installed.

Actually wasn't so, we couldn't disable firewall and solve the same problem.

Suggestion: Try going into command and type ifconfig /all check if you see the mac address

above example: ff-00-ad-1c-ee-fc.  If you do not see this anywhere show on the screen it probably means the anti virus is hiding the information. Hence you will not be able to connect to the network.

1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

RobertLorincz replied on

Hello,

I have a problem.You said that replacing the RAS PPPoE driver could solve the problem.I did the steps but i don't have the option Save Target As/ Save Ling As.Can you tell me if i have to open the raspppoe2.sys file with a specific program.

Thank you.

7 people found this helpful

Abuse history

mdadilrasheed20 replied on
if you have tried almost everything available in internet, now call to your service provider and get the cables plug point changed and it will started working for sure.
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

Alsdouble replied on

Upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Error 651 and also Code 37 Reltek adaptor fails to initialise. No wifi. Tried everything the internet suggested for 6 days, some real deep work. Finally, BOUGHT A NEW DONGLE and installed it. Game over. SOLVED. Don't ask me how but, solved.
2 people found this helpful

Abuse history