Granamyr
Had this question 3
Question
Granamyr asked on

Windows 7 system requirements, on the chipset/hardware level

what are they ?? is an Nforce 4 based Asus A8N-SLI Premium ( and other boards based on the Nforce 4 ) able to run windows 7 if there are drivers made for the chipset and windows 7 ??
Gaurav Prakash
Found this helpful 0
Gaurav Prakash replied on
Microsoft Forum Moderator

Hi Granamyr,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

I would suggest you to visit the manufacturers website and check for the compatibility with Windows 7.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=nbulqxniNmzf0mH1&content=specifications

You can refer the below mentioned link to check the Windows 7 system  requirements.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements

You can also visit the below mentioned link to check the compatibilty of any software/hardware

With Windows 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Hope this information helped!

Thanks and regards

Fouzan – Microsoft support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum 

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en- US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let 

us know what you think.

JoelbX
Found this helpful 0
JoelbX replied on
See my links in my sig for more on win7 installation...

Sounds like to me that that board should run win7 fine.
Hey there! Please reply back promptly so we can answer your problem faster!
- JoelbX
JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Visit websites
Granamyr
Found this helpful 0
Granamyr replied on

i have the 64 bit RC of Win 7 installed and running just fine, but according to nVidia when i e-mailed them about windows 7 drivers for the nforce 4 chipset, i recieved this :

in the 1st e-mail reply :

"The nForce4 chipsets are EOL and do not meet Microsoft's 7 System Requirements and this is the reason why we do not distribute any driver for the nForce4 chipsets. However, you can always use Windows 7 in-box driver with the nForce4 chipset. If the Windows Vista driver works fine for the nForce4 chipset, then, I suggest you to continue using the Vista driver for stable performance "

and the 2nd reply :

" However, the nForce4 series of chipsets are not compatible with the Windows 7 OS as these chipsets was manufactured by using the old technology which are now not capable of supporting the software and hardware required by Windows 7 operating system. So due to these drawbacks, the nForce4 series of motherboard cannot be used with Windows 7 OS "

now where does it say in the windows 7 hardware requirements specifically what hardware is and is not compatable with windows 7 ?? Ie Chipsets.......

i am currently using the 64 bit Vista drivers, which i have been using since probably July when i installed the RC to try out 7, and now would like official windows 7 drivers from nVidia for the OS, as i plan on getting the retail release of Win 7 for my main comp, as well as possibly 2-3 other nForce 4 based comps.  i also have some friends which are running nforce 4 based motherboards as well..

would official win 7 drivers be any different the vista drivers ?? or is this a case of nVidia not making " offical " win 7 drivers just because the chipset has been moved to EOL for them, even though there are probably ALOT more people out there that are also running the Nforce 4, and there for it comes down to being a case of nVidia is just not interested is supporting its customers  with something as simple as a driver ??
Granamyr
Found this helpful 0
Granamyr replied on

any updates to this ????
Granamyr
Found this helpful 0
Granamyr replied on

Hello ???? still would like an update to this, would like to know if i can install win7 to some other comps i have that run on the Nforce 4 chipset with the correct/proper drivers.

JoelbX
Found this helpful 0
JoelbX replied on

Have you tried installing win7 on the nforce4 MB? If not, please do, as trying it is the only way to find out that it may actually work...   My"> favorite threads | Computer tips       Contact me | 'Gadget' programs
Granamyr
Found this helpful 0
Granamyr replied on

JoelbX in my posts i did state that i am using win7 on the nforce 4 based boards.. using the vista drivers, BUT i would prefer to use actual drivers for the nforce 4 that are " made " for win7.

but the question remains.. is Nvidia LYING to their customers in stating :

The nForce4 chipsets are EOL and do not meet Microsoft's 7 System Requirements and this is the reason why we do not distribute any driver for the nForce4 chipsets

as well as

However, the nForce4 series of chipsets are not compatible with the Windows 7 OS as these chipsets was manufactured by using the old technology which are now not capable of supporting the software and hardware required by Windows 7 operating system

so.. what are the system req's for windows 7 on the chipset level ? the win7 system req's say what speed the cpu must be, ram needed, hdd space needed, and what vid card is needed, aka DirectX 9 capable, which to me means, one could run win 7 on quite older hardware, say K7/PIII class cpu, and the radeon 9xxx series ( 9800 pro ) and the nvidia equivalents, just that running on hardware that old.. wouldn't be " optimal "  :-)

if they make drivers for vista, and 7 is a step up from vista ( as i understand it ), as 98se was to 98, then why can't nvidia make drivers for win 7 and the nforce 4 based chipsets..  if i was asking about the nforce 3.. i can see the possible issues.. but i'm not ...
JoelbX
Found this helpful 0
JoelbX replied on

A lot of companies don't support older hardware anymore since it is so old and would take more time and money to develop drivers for new OSes for the old hardware and make driver for the new stuff as well, a example of this is trying to find Vista graphics drivers for the Intel 8 series chipsets...which don't exist since Intel never made drivers for them.   As long as the hardware has Vista drivers it will run fine on win7. However a lot of companies forget tht Vista drivers are pretty much compatible with win7, so a lot of their tech support will think 'no win7 drivers = hw don't work' when that usually isn't the case.   My"> favorite threads | Computer tips       Contact me | 'Gadget' programs
Granamyr
Found this helpful 0
Granamyr replied on

thats just it though.. if drivers for vista and win7 are so close, how difficult is it to make win 7 drivers ?

i'm sure i'm not the only one with an nForce 4 based comp, while still a quite viable comp to use, that wants to run win 7 with drivers for win7....

sure my FX60 is showing its age, even though i OC'd it to just under 3ghz, but it still runs games rather nicely.. sure even with dual 8800 GTs i have to turn down the eye candy with Batman Arkham asylum and NFS: Shift, but i can still play those 2 games on this comp  :-)
JoelbX
Found this helpful 0
JoelbX replied on

thats just it though.. if drivers for vista and win7 are so close, how difficult is it to make win 7 drivers ? As much difficult as companies don't want to spend more money and time/effort to keep maintaining support and drivers for the old products, they want you to get their new products and not stick with the old ones forever... ...So even though the old products still work fine don't expect companies to write new drivers for them...   My"> favorite threads | Computer tips       Contact me | 'Gadget' programs
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next