Win 7 64 bit - issue with device drivers not installing

Hi there - hopefully someone can help me.

I have a month old Dell Zino HD - Win 7 64 bit with 4gb RAM and 500GB HDD. Sometime in the firtst week I discovered that our printer (Canon MP 160) drivers would not install.   I did extensive trouble shooting including buying a new cheap printer (Canon MP270). Issue the same so not related to the printer.  I have since had a generic USB Hub that does not install.

Things tried for the USB Hub

- plug in USB Device and turn it on. Message pops up saying Instaling Device Drivers, it then says Device Drivers not successfully installed

- have gone to Device Properies and navigated to Driver Details and have Updated Driver online.  Issue remains the same with no driver details installing.

- have tried via Device Manager unistalling the device and then plugging it back in.  Hardware Scan identifies the device but still fails to load the drivers

- have tried accross multiple USB ports.  Other devices (eg mouse and kyboard) work accross all ports, so the USB hardware is fine....

Things I have tried for the Printer (both MP160 and MP270)

- All steps as above with same result

- Have also found the right 64 bit drivers for the printers and installed these directly.  Auto detect does still not install these drivers.  From the Device Properties (Update Driver) I go to  the folder location with the newly installed drivers and it returns an error saying no drivers in that location.

- I have tried uninstalling the downloaded drivers, rebooting and reinstalling.

- All steps above have been done many times over with  no positive result.

Additional Problems and attempted fixes

- another device - Logitech Camera which worked in one USB Port now does not load at all, not even back at the original port...grr

Any help happily received!

A very frustrated dude!!!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

For any Windows 7 questions:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Above link is to Windows 7 Forums, for questions about Windows 7.

All Windows 7 questions should be directed to/posted there.

You are in Vista Forums.

Cheers.

Mick Murphy - Microsoft Partner

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jim,                  

·Are you able to connect any other device to the USB ports?

This could be an issue with the USB ports on your computer. You may try to delete the upper and lower filters for the USB ports.

Method 1:

First try to update the motherboard drivers from manufacturer; this should resolve the USB port issue

www.support.dell.com

If that does not resolve the issue follow the second method.

Method 2:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For more information about how to back up and restore the registry in Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

1. Click “Start”, type “REGEDIT” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press Enter.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) pops up, please accept it.

2. Right click “Computer” (the root node) in the left pane, click “Export” under the “File” menu, choose “All” under “Export range”, and select “Desktop” in the “Save” in box and type backup in “File Name”. Click “Save”.

Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

3. Click “Start”, type “REGEDIT” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press Enter again.
4. Locate the “UpperFilters” value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

5. On the “Edit” menu, click “Delete”, and then click “OK”.
6. Locate the “LowerFilters” value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

7. On the “Edit” menu, click “Delete”, and then click “OK”.
8. Quit Registry Editor and restart the computer.

Now check if you are able to install the drivers for your devices.

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Mic - have moved it

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome.

They'll help you there.

Cheers.

Mick Murphy - Microsoft Partner

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there Amrita

Method 1 showed no improvement.

I have started down Method 2. Have backed up as suggested. From Step 4 onwards I am unable to find UpperFilters and LowerFilters.

Below the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}structure are 25 numbered folders 0000 to 0025. Each folder seems to be for a specific registered USB Device.  Nowhere can I see UpperFilters and LowerFilters.

Any guidance appreciated.

Regards

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,               

·Have you tried running the hardware troubleshooter?

Method 1:

If not then connect all the devices and run the troubleshooter and check what happens. To open the hardware troubleshooter follow the link given below.

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Method 2:

You may also try to uninstall reinstall all the USB Controllers one by one.

Note: Go ahead with the step only if you have a PS2 mouse so that you are connected to the computer once the USB ports are uninstalled

To uninstall device

a)     Click on Start menu, type in devmgmt.msc to open the Device Manager.   

b)     The Device Manager will then display a list of installed devices in the right pane of the console.  

c)      Expand the category for USB Controllers.  

d)     Right-click on each one of the ports and select Uninstall.

e)     A dialog box will pop up asking you to confirm ‘Uninstall’. Click OK to proceed.  

Once done with the uninstalling, restart the computer and check if they work fine

Amrita M

Visit our

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Amrita,

I have tried both methods above over and over again (as indicated in my original posting) to no effect. 

One other wierd thing to note:

- I have VMware Virtual Workstation installed running a WinXP machine . When the VM is running and I plug in the printer the VM recognises and loads the right drivers allowing printing from the Virtual Machine but not my host Win 7 64bit machine.  Very frustrating!

Any other suggestions?  I started on your suggested Registry hack but could not find upper and lower filters to delete...

Regards

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,               

Check for the Upperfilter and Lowerfilter in the below given location in registry editor.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete the filters if they are present.

Important:This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For more information about how to back up and restore the registry in Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Amrita M

Visit our

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So this issue is not resolved yet.  Still very frustrating. 

Things I have tried for the Printer ( MP270)

- a multitude of ways to try and install the drivers.  The latest 64bit drivers have been installed and uninstalled repeatedtly. When browsing to the folder via Install Printer/Have Disk or via Properties/Update Driver I get the following error "windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error when attempting to install it" (a code 28 error)

I found an Upper Filter in the Registry folder suggested above and removed it.  No improvement.

I have tried installing the drivers whilst in Safe Mode and again in Safe Mode with Networking.  In both instances installing the driver install fails with a error about the Print Spoller Service not having started. 

On the preboot screen I have also turned off the option to enfroce driver loading only with valid signatures.

Any further ideas out there?

Thanks in advance

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

·        Did you extract the driver folder that you downloaded from the manufacturer before installing it?

Method 1:

You may use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow the link given below.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2:

Also, you may disable the security software temporarily while installing the drivers and check if that helps.

Disable antivirus software

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Amrita M

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2024 Views 8,544 Applies to: