unable to read external hard drive- "USB Device not recognized: One of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it."

Original title: Windows 7 not reading external hard drive

Today I installed he test copy of windows 7 (build 7100).  When I was running the setup and was asked which partition would have windows installed on it, it listed my external hard drive as an option.  I installed it on my main hard drive and the install completed smoothly. 

Windows 7 seems to be operating rather well, but I can't access my external hard drive.  when plugged in, I get the message: "USB Device not recognized:  One of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it."

Device manager shows it as a flagged "unknown device."

Everything else so far runs well, but all my data is backed up on this drive and I need to access it.  Any ideas?

Answer
Answer

Hello armsakimbo,

This issue can happen for several different reasons; driver instability, missing updates, missing hot fixes, Selective suspend and others. There is a KB article that walks through methods to help fix this. Hope this helps.

Error: “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive.  

Thanks

L.D.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 4, 2020 Views 264,138 Applies to: