Problems installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with RAID drivers

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and am having problems installing.  I have 2x 250 GB HDDs that I have always had running in a RAID 0 config, stripped.  When I try to install WIndows 7, this is the procedure I take and the result...

When my RAID configuration pops up before boot, I press ctrl m to go into the config and set up my RAID 0 array

I boot to the Windows CD and when i get to the part where I need to select the partition for installation, it does not recognize any drives.  I have to load the RAID driver that i have on a floppy disk (which i downloaded the lastest version for Win7 64) and then the installation will see the 500 GB partition.... so far so good.

Windows will install up to the point where it has to reboot for the first time.  Once it does, it will get to the "Starting Windows" phase and get a BSOD.  It pops up to fast for me to read it.

Then the computer will reboot again, and the RAID array will be gone.....  It says "No Array Exists"

If I try to install Windows without creating an array, it does not work either.  Says that I cannot install on the disk.

And I cannot figure out a way to install WITHOUT RAID.  If i set the disks to IDE in the BIOS, the installation will also tell me that I cannot install.... I dont get it :(

I have an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard.  Is this a RAID driver problem??  My RAID always worked fine with Windows XP.

Please Help.  Thanks

During the win7 installation you need to select the option to install third party drivers from usb or cd (your sata raid controler)

And since winxp to win7 is a clean install you will lose everything on your array / drives

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have done that...  I install the drivers from a floppy during installation, and Windows 7 will see the 500 GB RAID partition.  It is after Windows mostly installs and reboots that I get a BSOD and the RAID array gets deleted...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does anyone have an ideas?  I am at a loss

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jordan,

Thank you for your post.

You can stop Windows from restarting after the blue screen with a setting in the Control Panel.

Click Start >Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings > Startup and Recovery

This should prevent the system from restarting after the blue screen. Please post the full error message in this forum, verbatim.

From that information we might be able to better understand the issue.

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Im actually running into this same problem tonight during the INSTALL.  I'm using the Marvell Raid and loading the drivers just as the op said.

After the install, Windows tries to do its FIRST load sequence, and it fails, restarts, and my RAID configuration is shot to heck.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi there i have the same problem too but found a way around this problem.
the raid array in th bios will be fine, the way around this is when you would get to the part where the harddrives normally are, go to load driver option and load the 32 (86) raid first and that should show your harddrives up, then go to load driver option again and then do the 64bit raid driver, you should still see you harddrives then too, and continue with the install, hope this helps.

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and am having problems installing.  I have 2x 250 GB HDDs that I have always had running in a RAID 0 config, stripped.  When I try to install WIndows 7, this is the procedure I take and the result...

When my RAID configuration pops up before boot, I press ctrl m to go into the config and set up my RAID 0 array

I boot to the Windows CD and when i get to the part where I need to select the partition for installation, it does not recognize any drives.  I have to load the RAID driver that i have on a floppy disk (which i downloaded the lastest version for Win7 64) and then the installation will see the 500 GB partition.... so far so good.

Windows will install up to the point where it has to reboot for the first time.  Once it does, it will get to the "Starting Windows" phase and get a BSOD.  It pops up to fast for me to read it.

Then the computer will reboot again, and the RAID array will be gone.....  It says "No Array Exists"

If I try to install Windows without creating an array, it does not work either.  Says that I cannot install on the disk.

And I cannot figure out a way to install WITHOUT RAID.  If i set the disks to IDE in the BIOS, the installation will also tell me that I cannot install.... I dont get it :(

I have an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard.  Is this a RAID driver problem??  My RAID always worked fine with Windows XP.

Please Help.  Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 8, 2020 Views 3,216 Applies to: