print spooler service keeps stopping

been searching forums/trying solutions all day, but still frustrated. i upgraded from vista home premium to windows 7 home premium. seemed to lose my main printer (canon mf4150), and when attempting to reinstall, found that my print spooler service keeps stopping. i changed its startup to auto, along with its dependencies, but it will stop very quickly after i start it (its dependencies stay started). i don't even know how to check which drivers etc. are installed any more, because i can't pull up a list of printers without that service. help?
Answer
Answer
I was just hoping for the list.  I really don't want to import the keys to my system.

At this point since the spooler is not starting and you already exported your drivers key.  I'd start by exporting the entire Print key then delete the print drivers and print processors under the Environment key.  Just the driver not the entire key.

Then start the spooler.  Open Devices and Printers, this will initialize the spooler rather than having to wait the 30 to 60 seconds if no print information is requested.

Click Add Printer

If the wizard starts the spooler is running.  If you get the error stating spooler is not running, then it's time to remove some monitor registry entries. 
Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
Formerly with Windows print team

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 30, 2020 Views 43,892 Applies to: