emstaples
Had this question 5
Question
emstaples asked on

Ports - Com and Lpt not in device manager

I do not have the "Ports" option showing up in device manager in Windows 7.  I have an internal modem, and I am trying to tether my blackberry, and there are no Ports - Com or Lpt.  It's just not there.  Any ideas?
Samhrutha G
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Samhrutha G replied on
Microsoft

Hi emstaples,

1.      Check if the device is hidden device.

i.                    Click show hidden devices under View

ii.                  expand all the nods under device manager

iii.                There would be many grayed out entries in device manager uninstall all the grayed out entries under all the nods and then restart the computer and plug the external device to the computer and check if it works.

2.      Check in the BIOS (integrated peripherals) if the com ports are enabled and set to 'auto'

BIOS DISCLAIMER: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

3.      If the above steps does not resolve then you might need to install the driver manually.

Link: Installing new hardware: recommended links: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-new-hardware-recommended-links

Other link you may refer to: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Install-or-remove-a-modem

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

mcclureb
Found this helpful 0
mcclureb replied on

I just want to check the ports and make sure they are on.
They are not listed in Device Manager(no not hidden, used to be)
I do not see any port options in bios settings

I am trying to get xbox live working properly and it is telling me to check the ports, which i cannot because i cant find them.  What next ?
Phooly420
Found this helpful 0
Phooly420 replied on

this was absolutely no help whatsoever
A. User
Found this helpful 0
A. User replied on

The ports you're talking about have nothing to do with the Device Manager.

They actuall do belong to the PREFERENCES...of the PRINTER.

Bring the printer,via the Device Manager List, then, look into the 'PROPERTIES' of the Printer.

You will find them there.

With nearly everything running on USB these days.....Ports-COM-LPT are the old methods of connecting a printer to the computer.

So Xbox found a way....to make use of them!?!