dmiller00
Had this question 45
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
dmiller00 asked on

One of the USB devices attached to your computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it__

I keep getting the following error message.
One of the USB devices attached to your computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. But the location of the device is blank. Also all the USB devices are working fine. I installed Windows 7 on 10/23, and the problem started a few days ago.

Dan Miller

durgaram
Found this helpful 8
Answer
durgaram replied on

1]Go to control pannel
2]Go to System and Security
3]Go to Device Manager
4]Click Universal Serial Bus Controllers
5]Right click the USB
6]Click Uninstall
then Reboot computer while pendrive is inserted in USB
Then connect to the internet.
---------------------------------------------------------
When you connect to the internet if the said USB is empty
(i.e. no device is inserted in it) they install the device
eventhough the device is not present, causing the said error.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Suggession :-Windows ahould not allow to install a device if the said device is not connected.

IceDog57
Found this helpful 2
IceDog57 replied on
This is something that seems to be happening all over the place.  It actually started for me back in early October with Vista, and I figured it would go a way once I installed Windows 7.  It hasn't and its annoying, and does not impact anything I do on the computer.. except annoying me..   All devices work and all USB ports are functional..  then I installed Windows 7 on my other computer.. and it started have the same problem with this message..

Ice Dog
halp
Found this helpful 1
halp replied on

I'm also running into this problem... I figured it had to do something with my stupid biometric fingerprint reader thing not having a driver for windows 7, but that's definitely not the case now. All of my USB ports are working perfectly fine in fact every port (HDMI, VGA, SD card, etc) works perfectly well. I've had to disable the sound Windows 7 craps out when it discovers a new device because it goes off 20 times in the span of 10 minutes. incredibly annoying! i've honestly run out of things to try. For the record I have a dell studio 15 and i've been running Windows 7 since it came out. only been running into this issue in the last week.
Mark [MSFT]
Found this helpful 2
Mark [MSFT] replied on
Microsoft

I'm also running into this problem... I figured it had to do something with my stupid biometric fingerprint reader thing not having a driver for windows 7, but that's definitely not the case now. All of my USB ports are working perfectly fine in fact every port (HDMI, VGA, SD card, etc) works perfectly well. I've had to disable the sound Windows 7 craps out when it discovers a new device because it goes off 20 times in the span of 10 minutes. incredibly annoying! i've honestly run out of things to try. For the record I have a dell studio 15 and i've been running Windows 7 since it came out. only been running into this issue in the last week.

Please run msinfo32, save the output to a file, then put it in a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here.  That'll provide more info about the hardware you have.

What made you first suspect the biometric reader, and what convinced you that wasn't the problem?
Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
JonJack
Found this helpful 1
JonJack replied on

motherboard: Asus A78NX-E Deluxe

I kept getting this error message after installing Windows 7.

The unplugging the power supply trick did not work for me but the following one did:

"Run regedt32.exe and navigate to;

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Usb

Create the Usb key if it doesn't already exist. Under this key, create a new DWORD value called DisableSelectiveSuspend and give it a value of 1. Then restart the PC."

the original post for this solution is here: http://www.ntcompatible.com/Desperately_need_help_---_USB_Devices_Not_Recognized_t32356.html

Doc Gongera
Found this helpful 1
Doc Gongera replied on
Have your machine  power off ....  (unplug the machine from your main power supply)
USBtroubles
Found this helpful 1
USBtroubles replied on

Mark and Jack:

I have done everything stated. I loaded the new key, turned off the power. I even bought Windows and switched from Vista to Windows 7 as I was told it was a Vista problem. However, the problem exists. I am trying to attach a mouse. I know its not the mouse because it is brand new and works fine on my mac and other computers. I cannot use the touch pad as it really hurts my hand, and since I am doing art use the mouse much much more than the keypad. I am at my wits end and do not know what to do. Please help.

Mark: I tried uploading the file into the skydrive by the link is no longer valid. I have a Toshiba, satellite e105.

x64 - based PC Intel Core 2 P8400 @ 2.26 GHz, 2267 Mhz, 2 Core, 2 Logical Processor

Chris - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Chris - Support Engineer replied on
Microsoft

USBtroubles,

It looks like your problem is similar, but differs from the original question. Please start your own question and provide the details of your problem so that we can help you further.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/threads

Thank you

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
durgaram
Found this helpful 8
Answer
durgaram replied on

1]Go to control pannel
2]Go to System and Security
3]Go to Device Manager
4]Click Universal Serial Bus Controllers
5]Right click the USB
6]Click Uninstall
then Reboot computer while pendrive is inserted in USB
Then connect to the internet.
---------------------------------------------------------
When you connect to the internet if the said USB is empty
(i.e. no device is inserted in it) they install the device
eventhough the device is not present, causing the said error.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Suggession :-Windows ahould not allow to install a device if the said device is not connected.

mshollywod
Found this helpful 0
mshollywod replied on

I'm getting this error message except for me now of my devices are not being recognized and I do not have Windows 7 but Vista.  I was going to install my Windows 7 disk but now I am worried after reading all of these comments.
mshollywod
Found this helpful 1
mshollywod replied on

Thanks! This worked!
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next