No ODBC Drivers available for Excel or Access in Windows 7 ?!

No ODBC Drivers available for Excel or Access! Even after a complete new installation of Windows 7 and Office 2003 professional or Office 2007 professional on another computer. When I want to add a driver in the ODBC Data Source Administrator, the response is: "To install new drivers use the driver's setup program!"

In the ODBC Data Source Administrators Windows only the SQL-Native Client and SQL-Server, from Microsoft shows to be installed!

How to install these ODBC Drivers or how to go about it? Thanks a lot for your responses!

Answer
Answer

The following KB article provides additional information on how to create DSNs that make use of Office ODBC drivers on 64 bit versions of Windows.

2721825          Unable to create DSN for Microsoft Office System Driver on 64-bit versions of Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2721825/EN-US

Hopefully this helps.

Best Regards,

Nathan O.

Microsoft Online Community Support

34 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I think the answer is already here in this thread (but it's not, imo, the post marked as "Answer").

You need to use Windows 7 32-bit subsystem.  In particular, you need to use the ODBC control panel here:

c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

At least in my case, that version (the 32 bit version) of the cpl did contain the Access (2003 in my case) ODBC driver. 

The 64 bit DLLs etc are in c:\windows\system32.  The 32 bit subsystem (so you can still run 32 bit apps on 64 bit Windows 7) is in c:\windows\sysWOW64.

I mean, that's very intuitive - right?

But I didn't post anything here until I could confirm that the 32 bit ODBC connection to Access was working (giving me the db's data).

Well what I'm trying to get to work goes through a bunch more complications: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mondrian/. Tomcat, mondrian, edits to config files to point things in the right direction, etc.

But given that it all now works, I'd say that the ODBC connection to the Access db must be working (I'm getting its data in the web interface to Mondrian).  Mondrian is an open-source (sourceforge) OLAP project.  It's also bundled with other BI stuff at: www.pentaho.com

The default data store for Mondrian on Windows is Access.

So the key is to use c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

90 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 16, 2024 Views 491,471 Applies to: