Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset

I have an Acer Aspire 8735G running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a clean install and all the latest BIOS and drivers from the manufacturer. It also in NOT running Nvidia chip for the USB enhanced controller. It is an Intel controller. When I use any USB hard drive, the transfer starts then stops responding part way through. It seems to stop at various points in the transfer. I have to reboot to get the USB port to start working again. This happens with large files and folders with a large amount of files within. Can anyone help ?

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Croth44,

A.      How are you trying to transfer files to the external hard drive?

B.      Were you able to transfer it earlier?

C.      Are you getting any error message?

D.     Is your hard drive NTFS formatted?

Let us try the below steps.

Step 1

Try to convert the file system to NTFS and check if you are able to transfer files.

1.      Click Start

2.      Type cmd in the start search box

3.      Right click on cmd from the menu and choose run as administrator.

4.      In the command prompt type convert <drive_letter> /fs:ntfs

Step 2

Try to break the files to smaller size or shrink the files and transfer the files.

Step 3

Uninstall all USB related entries in device manager.

1. Click START
2. Right click 'Computer' and select 'Properties'
3. On the left hand side, click 'Device Manager'
4. Expand the 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' category
5. Right click and uninstall ALL entries listed
6. Restart your Computer and check if it works.

I would suggest you to go to your Manufacturer's website and try to install latest drivers for chipset. Make sure you install it in compatibility mode as there are no 64 bit drivers released for Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Transferring-files-and-settings-frequently-asked-questions

Bindu S -- Microsoft Support
[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

1.) I am trying to transfer the files in Windows explorer.
2.)I haven't been able to transfer large files at all without a freeze/stall.
3.) No error message. The transfer just stops and sits there. The USB hard drive activity light stops flashing and just stays on.
4.)Yes, my drives are both formatted in NTFS.

Step1. Drives are already NTFS
Step2.  Yes I can transfer smaller files <50megs without incident
Step3. I did this and there was no difference, problem still exist.
I have installed the latest chipset drivers for the manufacturer

The issue seems to be worse transferring from the USB drive to the computer hard drive. I have less trouble going from the computer hard drive to the USB hard drive. Example: I can use Acronis True Image and create an image on the USB hard drive no problem. When I try to verify the image on the USB hard drive it locks up. As I said the problem is predominately going from the USB drive to the computer hard drive

Thanks for you assistance

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Anymore ideas ?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try uninstalling Acronis True Image (before you do that, make sure you have the product key and the install media so you can reinstall the app).

Then try copying files to see if you still encounter the issue.

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried uninstalling as suggested but it made no difference. If I go to msconfig and do a diagnostic startup the problem still exist. If I start in safe mode the transfers work perfectly. I can turn off all the startup items and all the non microsoft services and the problem still exist.  Safe mode works  fine for the large file transfers. I hope this information helps.
Thanks for working with me on this problem

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like there may be a driver loading when not in safe mode that's causing this issue.

Please run the application msinfo32 on your machine and follow the steps in the app to save the output to a file.

Then post that file in a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here.  I'd like to see what other apps are installed.

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is the link

http://cid-6e64b4261b829553.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/croth44b.txt

Thanks Again

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for posting that.

In that file, I see that drivers for Acronis were still installed and the app itself was still in your startup folder.  You might want to try uninstalling the app again, and make sure the drivers are removed when the app is gone.

I see a few other apps that would also be involved in file transfers:  Avast antivirus, a-squared free antivirus, NTI backup Now, and MyWinLocker encryption software.

I'd suggest uninstalling the apps individually to see if it's isolated to a specific one.

For avast, you should be able to uninstall that on a temporary basis to see if that resolves your problem.  I also see a service named "a-squared free", which appears to be another antivirus app.  Do you have 2 AV apps installed?

For MyWinLocker, I'm not sure if it's that simple.  You probably have to follow some process to decrypt your files before uninstalling the app.  I don't know anything about this app, so unfortunately I can't guide you on the appropriate uninstall steps.  You might want to check their website to see if they offer suggestions on the best way to do this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I uninstalled all the programs you suggested, unfortunately it would now lock up the computer at the start of a large file transfer and force a reboot.  I am not sure why safe mode works . If I am in msconfig and disable all the non microsoft services and all the startup items , what is safe mode doing differently. Maybe I could start looking there. Going through items one at a time until I find it. I am just not sure where to start.

I also downloaded  a copy of richcopy as suggested. It transferred 921mb of file in six directories with no problems from the USB drive to the computer.

As I said earlier, I can write large files to the USB hard drive. The problem occurs when I try to copy large files or groups of files from the USB hard drive to the computer.

Thanks for your efforts. Please keep the suggestions coming. From what I am reading , I am certainly not the only one with this problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2024 Views 39,679 Applies to: