installing windows on a new computer

I have acquired a computer that had no hard drives in it. I took the hard drive out of my older computer and put it in the new one. I had tried to boot it up but I cannot actually get windows to run. So I have decided to reinstall windows 7. When it gets to the installation area it says that I need drivers for my cd/dvd drive. I didn't have any drivers for it, so I bought an external cd/dvd drive and that didn't work either. We also tried multiple other cd/dvd drives and all of them, once in the install windows screen, come up with a dialogue box and it says, "A required drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note: If the windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

I have searched a lot for these drivers and cannot find any. Is there any possible way that you can find the appropriate drivers that might be missing for this computer so we can install windows on it?

The cd/dvd drive that we are using is from Lite-it on corp. and the model number is SHW-160P6S. It is a DVD/CD rewritable drive and was made in 2006.

The name of the motherboard is ASUS P5GDC Deluxe.

I don't know if it could be talking about a video card driver or just the CD/DVD Driver.

Thank You

Hi,

This issue occurs for one of the following reasons:

• The installation DVD is removed during the setup process.
  • A low-quality DVD was used to create the installation DVD. 
  • The speed at which the installation DVD was burned was too fast. 
  • The DVD drive cannot read the media.
  • The ISO file is corrupted.

To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods, as appropriate for your situation:

• Burn the installation DVD at a slower speed.
  • Use a better quality DVD to create the installation DVD.
  • Update the BIOS firmware for your DVD drive.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can resolved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Refer to this article for more information.

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" or "A media driver your computer needs is missing" error message when you install Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2755139/en-us

I would suggest you to use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to create a bootable USB flash drive, and then use the USB flash drive to install Windows.

Download the ISO Image of Windows 7.  

Please obtain these links by contacting Digital River customer support.

The Windows 7 ISO file is large (>2GB). Please verify that you have sufficient hard disk space to download this file and install Windows 7. Approx. 20GB will be enough for both operations.

Download the Windows 7 ISO image and save the file to a location you can remember. The download may take a considerable amount of time on slower internet connections.

Once you have downloaded ISO, you may follow the article to create Windows 7 installation media.

Burning a Windows 7 ISO File on a DVD

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977640/en-us

Note:  This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Hope this information helps. Reply with the status so that we could help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

will I have to pay for the ISO file I request for on this website? Also the CD/DVD with windows 7 on it, I bought from Microsoft's website. I have also updated the Bios already.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You don't need an ISO file if you have a proper Window installation disk. 
If you downloaded Windows it would be in ISO format. You can't just copy the ISO file to
the disk, it has to be burned to disk following the procedure I assume is in the links above.

When you say you cannot get the old Windows to run, does this mean it won't load, or does not
function properly after loading ?

Apparently drivers for Win7 are not available for this motherboard,
but from what I read elsewhere, the XP and Vista drivers so work for some people.
I assume that the person who used XP drivers for the audio has 32 bit Win7.
If you are using 64bit Win7 your best option would probably be Vista 64bit.

I'm curious if the BIOS update you did would be suitable for Win7.
The last BIOS update for this MB on the ASUS web site was from March '08.

P5GDC+Deluxe - downloads

If you have a retail installation disk you may just need to setup the boot order in BIOS so
the CD/DVD is first preference, but if the original Window install is not loading at all,
I'd be inclined to try to get that loading first.
This could also have to do with the boot order, another BIOS setting, or which SATA connection
you are using on the motherboard (assuming it's a SATA HDD). I have on occasion found
motherboards that seem to boot best if the HDD with the OS in on SATA 0 (although that may
be only a problem if more than one HDD is connected).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I start the computer, windows starts to load but then freezes 5 seconds into the booting process and says to repair the computer. When I repair it, it still doesn't fix the problem. When I go to reinstall windows, it gives me the error message: "A required drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note: If the windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step." Also the boot order is correct and I am not using SATA Hard Drives or SATA Cables.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You state that you are not using SATA drives or cables so presumably you have IDE drives connected to the ITE 8212 interface.

The error message is indicating that no storage devices to install Windows 7 have been detected. The IDE controller is not natively supported for Windows 7 installation and requires additional drivers to be loaded. The manufacturer does not support Windows 7 either although placing the Windows 2k driver on a USB device may allow the drives to be detected.

In practice the only solution with some hope of success with such an old motherboard would be to use SATA drives instead.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

if your computer is from branded means ,  installed os is deployed by adding drivers built in os

even your cd/dvd driver also  added  in customized OS ,  reinstall os with dvd comes with computer

1) download  cd/dvd driver computer manufacturer for your model and put in floppy or in pendrive

2) first insert pen drive , the put windows 7 dvd in dvd drive,

3)while installing if asks for the driver , browse the pen drive  and choose and select .inf file click ok

4) after window s7 starts install

goodluck

I am working as a Mathematics lecturer in a PU college.
Windows11_Pro_64bit_23H2_buildno_22631.3374_MS.office365_C2R_2401_v17231.20236_Intel_i5_13500_Nvidia3060_12GB_GDDR6_RAM_32GB_5600_Storage8TB.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One thing that i keep noticing is that the computer says overclocking failed. Also doesn't the 64 bit dvd for windows 7 have drivers on it? Also, what is a 2k driver? For some reason now it keeps saying "please select proper boot device" but it is selected. I have also noticed that when i try to install windows 98, 2000 and Xp it will not install those either. We have also wiped and partitioned the hard drive with a program that can boot up outside of windows. Sometimes it says CMOS settings are wrong. Another thing i have noticed is that if you connect the cd drive to the cd rom port it will not work. It does work however, when you connect it to the hard drive cable and set it as a slave. So before there were 2 hard drives connected to the hard drive cable which was in the Hard drive port and the cd player was connected to the cd rom port. It did not work then but it works when you take the cd rom player and connect it to the hard drive port. So now there is one hard drive connected and one cd rom player connected to the hard drive cable. Nothing is connected to the cd rom port.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In my last post, i said this:

"So now there is one hard drive connected and one cd rom player connected to the hard drive cable. Nothing is connected to the cd rom port."

We have successfully installed windows because of what i stated above. The cd rom port is what was preventing us from installing windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Obviously it is slightly academic as you are now working but there is no such thing as a CD Rom port.

The only connector defined as being for the CD is the Audio connector. Its sole purpose is to provide an analogue audio input from the optical drive to the sound chip on board, it is not a data connector so would not be used to install software.

In fact few computers even use this port for audio any more with most opting to transfer audio digitally and convert it to analogue on the motherboard.

As for the "overclocking failed" message, this is often an indication that the settings held in CMOS have been corrupted. Given the age of the motherboard I would recommend replacing the CMOS battery as a precaution. It can also be caused by forcing shutdown when it will not shut down normally.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What i had to do was trick the computer by connecting the DVD drive to the Hard drive cable and it went through with the installation and i put windows 8 on it. So it works now. Thanks everyone for helping to try and fix the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2018 Views 256 Applies to: