Can't open devices and printers in control panel.

For some reason I can no longer open Devices and Printers in my control panel.  When I try the window at the top shows a green progress bar but it never completes.  I'm unable to use my printer that I've been using fine in the past.  No changes.  Even if I disconnect my printer from the computer, my printer will not work and I still can not open Devices and Printers.  When I check the Imaging Devices in Device Manager the printer shows up and says it is working properly even though it isn't.  All of the sub categories (Add a device, Mouse, etc.) can be opened but not when I click on the main title Devices and Printers.

I have a new HP e9280t computer running Windows 7 (64) with a Canon MP600 all in one printer. 

Thanks for any help.
Answer
Answer

Hi rlmosk,

Is your computer on any network?

I would suggest you to remove any of the external devices connected to the computer except basic hardware like keyboard, mouse and monitor. Then check if you are able to open the devices and printers option.

Also, I would suggest you to perform a SFC scan and check – To Perform a SFC Scan -

1.      Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

2.      Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow 
A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'. Be patient because the scan may take some time

3.      If any files require a replace SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Win7 DVD for this process to continue

4.      If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" 

5.      After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.

Check the below mentioned link for further guidance on SFC scan -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

For printer you may use the Printer troubleshooter when the printer is connected and check if it lists any errors- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Printer-troubleshooter

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

89 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 147,633 Applies to: