DFulton77
Had this question 59
Question
DFulton77 asked on

Cannot print under 64bit versions of Vista or Windows 7

Hi,

I've seen a number of similar questions on various sites, but can't seem to find a solution to this one.  I've been trying to set up my HP Deskjet 710C on Windows 7 (64 bit edition).  The system detects the printer and installs the driver, but every time I try to print a test page, nothing happens.  If I start investigating the queue, I find that the print spooler has stopped running.  If I restart the spooler, printing again will cause it to stop.

This only seems to apply to 64-bit versions of Windows.  My wife's machine has Windows 7-32 bit and the same printer works fine. 

I've formatted my machine and gone back to 32-bit XP - everything works swimmingly, so there's nothing wrong with the hardware.  I formatted again and installed 64-bit Vista - I get similar problems to Windows 7.  In this case, the printer sometimes picks up the paper, but nothing more.  The test page appears in the print queue and disappears shortly afterwards.  I've run the Microsoft Fixit tool, which couldn't find anything wrong.  If I remove the spooler and attempt to print straight to the printer, the system immediately responds with "Test page failed to print" and on one occasion crashed explorer.

The printer's connected via a parallel cable straight to the motherboard.  I've run this on a fully patched Windows 7 and I've run it on fresh installs of both Vista and 7 (with no other drivers or software installed).  There is no HP driver, only the standard Microsoft one.  The printer is listed on all the relevant Hardware Compatibility Lists.

Can anyone help, or is Win XP my only solution?

Many thanks in advance.

David
Alan Morris
Found this helpful 8
Answer
Alan Morris replied on
Microsoft

the driver from Server 2003 x64 works fine

Here's the response I got from the HP driver developer.  If I were to redistribute these files, I'd need to pony up and get legal aggreements and ____ to cover my buns and quite frankly I need to get more cycles into testing the core spooler for the next version of Windows. 

PS the files are in the driver.cab file located in the amd64 directory of the installation CD but it would be easiest to just delete the printer and driver package from the machine and use the Have Disk options and point to the CD to install them and manually add the printer to LPT1:

Alan,

After following up your findings for this issue, I verified only one file needs to be replaced for each family in this issue to make it to print in x64. For model DJ 710C/720C/722C, the hpvdb720.dll needs to be replaced with WS2k3 version; for DJ 820Ccse/820cxi, the hpvdb820.dll needs to be replaced with WS2k3 version and for DJ 1000C, the hpwm5db1.dll needs to be replaced with WS2k3 version.

I only have a DJ 1000C here handy, so I verified this above solution with the DJ 1000C.

You may post this to the forum for the solution.

Thanks.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
Formerly with Windows print team
Alan Morris
Found this helpful 3
Answer
Alan Morris replied on
Microsoft

I confirmed that the driver terminates on the x64 platform.  You will need to ask HP to fix this one.  There are a couple other models that use the same core components that also fail on x64.

the failure is in this function
HPVSCP50!SwathCutter::SelectFormat

I changed some of the page format settings to see if I could at least get a test page from the device but no luck.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
Alan Morris
Found this helpful 9
Most Helpful Reply
Alan Morris replied on
Microsoft

Okay community, I know you can go out and purchase a new printer for less that $100 so I need to know (for myself) how much my effort was worth.  I definity placed more than $100 of effort to find and confirm a driver to get ink on paper (I was also able to borrow a 710C just so I could watch this work) .  On this post there appear to be 8 people who can benefit.  So $800 bucks I saved the community  What I would like from you whoever finds this and does not have to purchase a new printer, comment back.  I'd like to inform my HP contact here at Microsoft, the number of affected customers.   

Thanks

One last thing.  THIS is the reason I like to hang out here, to provide the answer.  

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
DFulton77
Found this helpful 0
DFulton77 replied on

Reply In reply to deleted message

I believe so.

I'm not exactly taxing the system though.  I'm purely using the "print test page" function as I haven't got as far as installing any software.  It's a brand new quad core with 4Gb RAM, so this should not be stretching it.

I'm hunting around for an alternative driver at the moment, but I would have thought the Windows one was the best.

David
Alan Morris
Found this helpful 1
Alan Morris replied on
Microsoft

If it's host based and the "host" software does not work properly on x64 it what I am attempting to determine.  I sent some mail to HP but have not heard back.
Alan Morris Windows Printing Team Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
DFulton77
Found this helpful 0
DFulton77 replied on

I see - appreciate your efforts!

I'm still trawling the web.  I've confirmed that the 710c is a host-based printer though...
Mike Hall MVP
Found this helpful 0
Mike Hall MVP replied on
You may have more success if you connect the printer via USB cable in place of the parallel cable that you are presently using..
Mike Hall MVP - Windows Desktop Experience http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit - Start8
Location - SWO, Canada
Bob Headrick
Found this helpful 0
Bob Headrick replied on
MVP

You may have more success if you connect the printer via USB cable in place of the parallel cable that you are presently using..
Mike Hall MVP - Windows Desktop Experience http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/
The Deskjet 710c does not support USB connections, it requires a bidirectional IEEE-1284 connection.
Bob Headrick,Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Alan Morris
Found this helpful 3
Answer
Alan Morris replied on
Microsoft

I confirmed that the driver terminates on the x64 platform.  You will need to ask HP to fix this one.  There are a couple other models that use the same core components that also fail on x64.

the failure is in this function
HPVSCP50!SwathCutter::SelectFormat

I changed some of the page format settings to see if I could at least get a test page from the device but no luck.

DFulton77
Found this helpful 0
DFulton77 replied on

Thanks for your help.  Really appreciate it, particularly the quick response.

Can you confirm what this means?  Are we saying that the existing software won't work?  I'll take this up on the HP site, but their pages state that they don't support the 64 bit operating systems.  I checked before I installed and the printer is specifically listed on the HCL for both Vista 64 and Windows 7 64 so in theory it should work.

I don't imagine that HP are going to provide a fix just for me (though I am going to ask for their help).  If not, I suppose I'll just have to take Windows back to the store - or is there anything else I can try?
P  A  U  L
Found this helpful 0
P A U L replied on
Having same problem with very similar setup: Windows 7 (upgraded from Vista), 64-bit, HP Deskjet 722c (which uses the 720c driver); It's a parallel printer, but I connect using a Belkin USB-to-parallel converter. This setup worked fine under XP.

Under Win7, it recognizes the printer, installs the 720c driver, etc., but when I try to print test page, an entry briefly appears in the print spooler, then disappears (as if it had printed), but nothing happens at the printer. Sometimes the print job gets stuck in the print spooler, then if I try pausing and restarting the printer, it crashes Windows Explorer.

Hopefully one of us can find a solution.  

Next, I'm going to try running the Windows XP Virtual Machine from MS. Will be useful as a diagnostic aid, but not that great from an ease-of-use standpoint.

Note: if you haven't done so recently, try re-loading your driver using the download option thru Device Manager -- there's a whole slew of new drivers there; mine doesn't work, but maybe you'll get lucky with yours.

-- Paul

D Flagg
Found this helpful 0
D Flagg replied on

I'm having the same issue.  New win7 64 bit printing to an HP DJ 720c hosted on a second 32bit XP machine.  Tried variations of local and network print queues and configurations on the win7 machine. I see the job hit the queue on the remote machine but nothing comes out. (Under Vist64, it would simply load the paper and quit).  Using XP mode from the Win7 machine works fine, but trying to leverage this by sending jobs to this queue (pointed at the other XP machine) is no better.
DFulton77
Found this helpful 0
DFulton77 replied on

I'm pleased to see it's not just me who's having this problem!  From the descriptions, both Paul and D Flagg are experiencing exactly the same issue.  FYI - I'm in conversation with an HP support person.  We've had no joy yet, but one thing she suggested was installing the driver for the HP Deskjet 990c.  Didn't work for me, but maybe for one of you guys it will.

Please can you post a message if you get it working?  I'm now close to making a choice between downgrading to XP and going out to buy a new printer...

David
Previous Previous Page of 11 Next Next