Windows Explorer for Windows 7 -- How to stop automatically sorting my files

I have Windows 7.  Windows Explorer automatically sorts my files in each folder.  I have it set to 'Sort by...Name', so for now it's sorting alphabetically, but regardless of what I have it set to 'Sort' by, it does it automatically.  But I want to be able to move files around in the folder in different orders, and then once I'm satisfied with the order, then I can change each file's name, and then choose to sort them alphabetically or otherwise.

For example, this is useful for a folder full of photos.  Let's say I have a folder with 50 photos in it from a vacation, and I want to re-order those photos, but I want to play around visually with different orders until I decide on the order I like most.  So I want to move each file/photo around until I like the order.  To do that, I would open that particular folder in Windows Explorer, then select the "Large Icons" View, and then move the photos around until I like the order.  And then once I have the photos in the order I want, then I would want rename each photo (1, 2, 3, etc.) and then tell Windows Explorer to "Sort by...Name".  That's how it used to be on my old computer, but I had XP, and now I have Windows 7, but I can't imagine that Windows 7 wouldn't let me do the same thing.  But the way it's working for me right now, Windows Explorer just automatically orders/sorts my files according to the "Sort by" option I have chosen.  So if I change a files name (say from "Photo #25" to "Photo #10"), it automatically puts that photo between "Photo #09" and "Photo #11".  And if I try to move that "Photo #10" next to say "Photo #37" to see how they look next to each other, it won't let me.

Sooo.... Is there a way to have Windows Explorer 'NOT' sort my files at all, until I tell it to?

Thanks much!
theokapi 
Answer
Answer

Not possible in Windows 7 and Vista. XP was the last OS where Explorer didn't forcibly auto sort all files in List and Details views.

Anonymuos

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Theokapi,

Thank you for your question. Please see Working with files and folders for details on working with files and arrangement. However the change in Windows 7 that you described (manually arranging files within folders) is by design. If this is something you would like to have changed, please feel free to leave your suggestion with Windows 7 Feedback.  

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Answers Community.

Lisa
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 8, 2023 Views 42,488 Applies to: