lex3001
Had this question 21
Question
lex3001 asked on

Windows 7 RTM Search causing Sharing Violation in Excel 2007

I am using Windows 7 RTM Ultamite 64-bit (upgraded recently from Vista) with Office 2007 SP2. I am experiencing very frequent Sharing Violations in Excel 2007 that go away if I disable Search (e.g. using the Indexer Status gadget) and come back when I turn it back on. According to the gadget I have Search 6.1.7600.16385. FYI I also have Windows Defender (currently disabled) and Trend Micro's WFBS 6.5, but these programs do not seem to be involved based on the problem going away and returning when I stop and start the search indexer.

This problem occurs very frequently and has already caused productivity loss.

Here is a typical scenario:
- open an Excel file
- make some changes in the sheet(s) or in the VBA (the problem occurs regardless of whether or not there are macros or whether the file is in 2003/xls or 2007/xlss/xlsm format)
- hit Save
- get "Sharing Violation": Your changes could not be saved to "<filename>" because of a sharing violation. try saving to a different file.
- <click OK>, then get: The file you are trying to open, '<########>', is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted souce before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?
- <click Continue>, then get Save As dialog; save (sometimes works); then get:
- Do you want to save the changes you made to '<original filename>'?
- <click Yes>
- get Save As again and try and save with another name or overwrite existing
- then get: Errors were detected while saving '<full path>'. Microsoft Office may be able to save the file by removing or repairing some features. To make the repairs in a new file, click Continue. To cancel saving the file, click Cancel.
- <click Continue>, get Save As, then get: Excel encountered errors during save. However, Excel was able to minimally save you file to <pathname>.
- or sometimes instead of the above I will get a message that the file is damaged and cannot be repaired.

Anyway, please provide a fix to this issue ASAP.
lex3001
Found this helpful 0
Answer
lex3001 replied on
I contacted Trend Micro and they report that this is a known issue in the current version of WFBS and they are providing me an update to try.
Mark L. Ferguson
Found this helpful 0
Mark L. Ferguson replied on

Press Win Logo Key + R, and type fsmgmt.msc

I would try creating a shre that is the folders used for file creation in the Options/Folders setting of Excel. When you click the upper left round Logo for Office, you get a dropdown with 'Options' on the bottom. The Options dialog has a "Save" item to choose in the left 'tasks' pane, and the "Default File Locations" probably need to be shared in fsmgmt.msc

Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
lex3001
Found this helpful 0
lex3001 replied on

Hi Mark,

If I understand your suggestion correctly, you believe that creating a file share on the folder where I am working on / saving my excel files in question will help with this situation, and then in addition to that, changing Excel's options to save files to the share by default?

I find this to be an odd suggestion -- I do NOT want a file share on these files; they contain client data and I would consider it a security risk. I will mention, however, that these files are in the My Documents tree of folders on my local drive. If this indeed works, I would call a hack of a workaround at best, and certainly not an acceptable solution.

Please let me know if I understood your suggestion correctly or not.
Mark L. Ferguson
Found this helpful 0

No, I was suggesting that you are not using a folder shared with the Excel user. If you are set to use your My Documents, it should be set to allow acces to you and Excel. I would think it more likely that you have not installed the latest Service Pack for Office.
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
lex3001
Found this helpful 1
lex3001 replied on

As I mentioned in the original post I have Office 2007 SP2 installed (and I have no pending Microsoft Updates):
  Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (12.0.6504.5001) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000)
  Part of Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007

Based on some Internet searches, this seems to be a common problem, although the reported causes and solutions vary substantially.

In my case, I started experiencing this problem sometime after I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 RTM, and I have verified that the problem goes away when I stop the search indexing service and the problem comes back when I turn it back on.

(I unmarked this as an answer because this issue is not resolved -- I need both Search and Excel to work.)
Mark L. Ferguson
Found this helpful 0

You can say it is not the answer if you like, it's not really relative to your question. You wanted to know why it happens, and the answer is provided by you. Excel has some broken feature, at least as expressed by you. The 'answer' to a question is not always a 'solution to the problem'.
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
lex3001
Found this helpful 0
Answer
lex3001 replied on
I contacted Trend Micro and they report that this is a known issue in the current version of WFBS and they are providing me an update to try.
nigelsmail2
Found this helpful 0
nigelsmail2 replied on
I have had the exact same problem, U/G from Vista to Win 7, also Trend Micro Internet security Pro with Office 2007. I have an open case with Trend Micro as it is I believe a known issue. I tries exempting xls files in the AV but to no success. They are continuing with a solution. Turning off the Trend AV, stops the sharing violations. Hope this is of assistance
lex3001
Found this helpful 0
lex3001 replied on

I exchange email with Trend and received 4 different hotfixes, none of which worked properly (I think they were always missing some files, since I am running Win7 64-bit), until I finally got a hit fox for our Trend server from which I was able to manually update my PC, and it did in fact solve the problem. We have the WFB Advanced server product, so perhaps you need a different hotfix for the client only.
rboetger
Found this helpful 0
rboetger replied on

I am having the same issue SINCE I upgraded my Vista to Windows 7.  I am NOT using Trend Micro.  If I may.  If you turn off Trend does the problem go away?

Also this does NOT happen with WORD!!!

Thanks
lex3001
Found this helpful 0
lex3001 replied on

Yes, as I mentioned in an earlier post, if I either turn off Search Indexer OR unload Trend, my problem goes away. With the hotfix from Trend, I can have both turned on and I do not experience the problem. My problem also started after upgrading from Vista to 7.

Perhaps you have another AV product which has an issue, such as the new windows security etc. There are postings of a similar issue in another forum.

Previous Previous Page of 4 Next Next