Nucleo
Had this question 361
Question
Nucleo asked on

Windows 7 does not refresh folder views

I've got the following problem:
Windows 7 does not refresh automatically the folder view (until I manually refresh by pressing F5) after the following file operations:
- Create/delete/rename/move files or folders

Windows 7 Professional final release, international English version. No upgrade, clean install.

It seems to me it's a delay in my case: if I wait for approximately 30 secs, the refresh is done automatically. There are shared folders on the volumes.

I've done the followings:
- deleted IconCache - did not help
- reset folder views - did not help
- turned off file sharing and network discovery - did not help
- made a clean boot - did not help
- ran sfc - did not found any violations
- created new user account - did not help
- updated the BIOS to the latest version - did not help
- updated the VGA driver to the latest version - did not help
- turned off file indexing - did not help
- ran Windows 7 in Safe Mode (without Networking): it seems the issue does not occur

I could be satisfied with Windows 7 but this issue is terribly annoying cause I work with a lot of files day by day.

Could anybody help me?
Dan Holme
Found this helpful 106
Answer
Dan Holme replied on
MVP

I have had the same problem recently.  Here's what I discovered, FWIW:

• After reading all of these responses it seemed that, at the core, this is related to the Windows UI shell and how it tries to "reach out" to other systems.  Fixes included disabling the Windows Client, disabling home groups, disabling file shares, etc.
  • I discovered that I have the problem only in certain folders.  For example, if I try to create a folder in my DOCUMENTS folder, the problem occurs, but if I create the folder in a random folder on the C: drive (e.g. C:\MyTest), no problem!
  • I discovered that the folder DOES eventually appear--it just takes 30+ seconds. By pressing F5 I was "rushing" the process.  This also sounds like a network client timeout kind of thing.

I wanted to start with the simplest, lowest-impact solution.  It worked:

• I opened COMPUTER and removed a "Network Connection" that pointed to a server that is not currently available.

That solved the problem completely.

Dan Holme, Intelliem
Dan Holme, Intelliem
Nucleo
Found this helpful 28
Answer
Nucleo replied on

I've narrowed down more the possible causes of the issue:
If You disable the Client for Microsoft Networks in properties of Local Area Connection - the issue disappear (maybe only in my case).
ChairmanMAO
Found this helpful 6
ChairmanMAO replied on
If I create a new folder using the New Folder button it does not show up in the folder list until after I hit F5. The same thing happens if I copy or delete a bunch of files, although in that case some of the results -- but not all -- will be reflected in the folder view before I hit F5 (e.g., if I delete 100 files, 70, say, will disappear right away, but the remaining 30 will still be displayed until after I hit F5, even though the deletion operation is complete).

How do I fix this? It's really annoying, particularly in creating new folders because it appears you haven't actually created the folder.

I'm running the RTM with all available updates applied.

- Mark
Vinod N
Found this helpful 10
Answer
Vinod N replied on
Microsoft

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft answers forum for Windows Vista Community!

What happens when you try to boot in safe mode?

To start your computer in safe mode, you can refer the below link: 

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a-5c58eec904a11033.mspx

I would suggest you to place the computer in a clean boot state and check if the issue resolved:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
5. Click OK, and then click Restart.
6. Check if you still have the issue.

Refer the link below for more details:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Reset the computer to start as usual After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

a.             Click Start , type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

1.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  2. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
  3. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

e.     If this does not help, try to run a SFC scan. To do a SFC scan follow the steps below:

Use system file checker tool which is also called SFC scan.
System File Checker (SFC) checks that all Vista system files are where they should be as they were by default and not corrupted, changed, or damaged.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and  select Run as Administrator.
2. Click Continue or supply Administrator credentials if prompted.
3. In the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:
   sfc /scannow

4. You should see the following on-screen messages:
    Beginning the system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification % complete.
5. Once the scan has completed, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved or not.

Regards,

Savan – Microsoft Support.

ChairmanMAO
Found this helpful 2
ChairmanMAO replied on

Savan,

Sorry about the delay, I've been working on some time-critical projects.

I followed your suggestions, with these results:

1) Boot into safe mode - problem does not occur (i.e., no need to refresh with F5)

2) Clean boot - problem remains (i.e., I must still refresh with F5)

3) SFC scan - it identified problems, but claimed to have fixed all of them. Problem still remains.

What do I do next?

- Mark
ChairmanMAO
Found this helpful 1
ChairmanMAO replied on

One additional piece of info: I tried turning off my anti-virus software (ESET's Nod32). That had no effect; the problem still remained.

- Mark
Mark L. Ferguson
Found this helpful 1
Mark L. Ferguson replied on

Safe Mode cleared up the problem, so it's going to be some hardware driver. My guess would be the video. Turn off Aero theme and test that.
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
Mark L. Ferguson (former MVP)
ChairmanMAO
Found this helpful 1
ChairmanMAO replied on

No joy, assuming I did, in fact, turn off Aero. I went to Adjust Visual Effects and set it to "Best Performance". The result sure >>looked<< like Aero wasn't running :).

Any other thoughts? I haven't added any new hardware since long before upgrading to Windows 7.

- Mark

Mark L. Ferguson
Found this helpful 0

If the hardware troubleshooter is not reporting anything, you may have something installed that makes your system slow with data. My system makes those thing happen instantly. My first suspect for that would be indexing. I would try turning that off for a test.
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
ChairmanMAO
Found this helpful 1
ChairmanMAO replied on

Nope, turning off indexing didn't help.

- Mark
Mark L. Ferguson
Found this helpful 0

If you would care to report your results to MS, they have an input site to let you do that. You should make an attempt to let them be able to reproduce your system behavour. I would expect a submission form for the final 7 version in the next week or so.
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
Piper975
Found this helpful 4
Piper975 replied on
When I have Windows Explorer open and use right click, new, folder the command functions but Windows Explorer will not automatically refresh to display the New Folder so that I can change the name and must right click again and select refresh as the F5 function does not work either.
Previous Previous Page of 50 Next Next