Why do Libraries' default folders keep getting hidden?

For some unknown reason, the default folders in Libraries (Documents; Music; Pictures; Videos) keep spontaneously "hiding" themselves. I have not changed any settings on these folders. This started occuring after I updated to Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 from Windows 7 Home Premium. I subsequently did a clean installation of Windows 7 and all the updates, including SP1, hoping it would fix the problem but it doesn't. The only way I can see these default folders in the Libraries folder is to select "Show hidden files, folders and drives" from the Tools/ Folder Options/ View tab. This is really annoying. Is there a fix for this?
Answer
Answer
Hey guys, I think I've found a temporary solution about this after "cracking my nut brain" :D

Just go to "C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries" folder, then select all folders (or 1 by 1 if you wish), just uncheck that damn hidden attribute. Solve!!

I said temporary solution because you need to do this for all newest shortcut you'll create (after SP1 upgrade I guess). Same goes to "start menu" shortcut or others. However, just go to "C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\" and normally it will be there.

Still, you need to "show hidden files" first if  you want to do all above (folder option). And I hope Microsoft will have a solutions for this bug later...

#Edited
Need to delete all "desktop.ini" file inside it (this I think the missing step). These file can be seen when you uncheck "Hide protected system file...".

What I mean in all folders is inside that ...Windows\Libraries\, in My Document, My Music etc... Then just logout and login again, no need to restart.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 17, 2022 Views 9,150 Applies to: