hirsh007
Had this question 11
Question
hirsh007 asked on

While trying to open CHM files I get an error:"Navigation to the webpage was canceled"

No details available. Just to say that I opened 1 CHM file successfully, but all the rest as described above.
Gokul T
Found this helpful 16
Answer
Gokul T replied on
Microsoft

Hi hirsh007,

Follow the steps listed below:

Step 1:

a. Click Start, type cmd, right-click and select Run as administrator.

b. Enter the following command and hit Enter:

regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx

After getting the success message "DllRegisterServer in hhctrl.ocx succeeded", try to open your CHM file again.

Step 2:

If you are sure that the help documentation is from a trusted source, try and open it by following the below steps:

a.    Right-click the CHM file and click “Properties”.

b.    In the “General” tab of the “Properties” dialog box, click the “Unblock” button under “Security” at the bottom.

c.    Click “Apply” and “OK” to save the settings.

Try opening the .CHM files and check if that fixes the issue.

Step 3: Perform a System File Checker (SFC) scan

SFC toolscans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

See How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope this information helps.

Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
Andre.Ziegler
Found this helpful 1
Andre.Ziegler replied on
Do you open the CHM on a network drive/share?
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
Brad Dickey
Found this helpful 0
Brad Dickey replied on

I do try to open the CHM on a network drive/share.  The solutions above have not solved this problems.
maggiclark
Found this helpful 0
maggiclark replied on

Thank you so much, I have been trying to fix this for weeks.   It was on a network share!
Steven Magana-Zook
Found this helpful 0
Steven Magana-Zook replied on

I was also getting the Navigation Cancelled error on chm files (windows 7 32-bit). When i looked at the properties, i did not have any "Unblock" button. Instead, I had to go to the file's properties -> advanced -> and uncheck the "File is ready for archiving" checkbox. After that, the CHM opened properly.

ETvete
Found this helpful 0
ETvete replied on

I have Win7 and a CHM file on a network share opens with "Navigation to the webpage was cancelled". I don't have any "unblock" button and I have not managed to fix this. If I copy the CHM file to a local drive, it opens OK.

Fleury'sMP3z
Found this helpful 1
Fleury'sMP3z replied on

Clicking on the "Unblock" button solved my problem.

Thank You!

Rahul _
Found this helpful 0
Rahul _ replied on

Thanx Gokul !!
wHy sO sEriOUs......
Ashish_jit
Found this helpful 0
Ashish_jit replied on

Hi hirsh007,

Follow the steps listed below:

Step 1:

a. Click Start, type cmd, right-click and select Run as administrator.

b. Enter the following command and hit Enter:

regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx

After getting the success message "DllRegisterServer in hhctrl.ocx succeeded", try to open your CHM file again.

Step 2:

If you are sure that the help documentation is from a trusted source, try and open it by following the below steps:

a.    Right-click the CHM file and click “Properties”.

b.    In the “General” tab of the “Properties” dialog box, click the “Unblock” button under “Security” at the bottom.

c.    Click “Apply” and “OK” to save the settings.

Try opening the .CHM files and check if that fixes the issue.

Step 3: Perform a System File Checker (SFC) scan

SFC toolscans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

See How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope this information helps.

Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

thanks gokul this works for me
DanLuong Cong
Found this helpful 1
DanLuong Cong replied on

It works for me after following step 2.
Thank you so much
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next