Is it possible to set a password for a random folder in Windows 7?

I would like to know if it's possible to add password protection to a folder created in Windows 7. I realize that you can set up different user accounts or get into settings on a shared network, but that's not my situation. I typically let friends and other family members just use my computer without going to the trouble of setting up a new user account. I would like to create a folder in which I can keep documents with passwords lists, account numbers and other sensitive data. Is it possible to simply set a password for a single folder?
Answer
Answer
It's not possible to specifically put a password on a folder and using something like folder encryption wouldn't be of use to you either given all of your family use the same account.

Short of recommending the use of different accounts which would be wise you could look at some of the solutions available out there such as PGP and so on.

You could also consider password protecting the actual files, so your password file for example, if it's in Microsoft Word, add a password there.

Simple answer though is to use different user-accounts, for this and many many other benifits...

Good Luck!
Jon

www.insidetheregistry.com

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 29, 2023 Views 141,871 Applies to: