How To Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows 7

Hello,

I am trying to set up a serial cable connection with a DB9 RS-232 Female-to-Female Serial cable between 2 PCs, one with Windows 7 and another Windows 8.
For initial checking of the cable I used some terminal software like HyperTerminal, PuTTy, RealTerm. But none of the PC was able to write/read data from port. So I shorted the transmit and receive pins( 2&3) at one end together with a jumper(stapler pin) for looping back the data to the terminal. The terminal outputs every letter typed twice, ie the cable and the COM port is working correctly for both PCs. But with 2 PCs connected, the Hyperterminal does not outputs anything written from the other PC's Hyperterminal. 

Possible suspects:-
1. In device manager->PORTS(COM and LPT) - there are 3 items in both the PCs
                                  Communication Port(COM1) ,Communication Port(COM2),Printer Port(LPT1).
                                  while I plug/unplug the cable from any of the PC, nothing changes in this section.

2. Drivers for this type of cable in not installed.
3. Different OS installed on the PCs.
4. Or I have to Create a new connection and then Connect directly to another computer as mention in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305621/en-us . But I could not figure out how to do these steps in Windows 7/8.

Any idea regarding this problem is appreciated.
Answer
Answer

The problem is your attempting to use two "Output ports" to connect two machines/ never going to work,

VGA ports are for t.v's... "if" they are p.c. capable. otherwise you would need to use a HDMI to the t.v. which is also a Output from the p.c.

If you notice your computer and monitor are using a DVI port hookup not a VGA.

And no you can't use a DVI cable either :)

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 9,241 Applies to: