Kostbo
Had this question 44
Question
Kostbo asked on

How to disable auto arrange in Windows 7 Explorer?

Why does Microsoft have to decide how I want my personal stuff organized?I want them organized the way I want!We wouldnt pay 300 for someone to take decision for us.I wonder if you are going to change the Pc acronym for Personal Computer to IBTMN-C aka I belong to Microsoft now computer.I want my folders arranged the way I like.I want to change the row the way i feel like to everyday.Just fix it.What made you remove this??Which advisor told you it is not needed?Who doesnt use this feature??Windows is based on manual arrange.Nice Idea WELL DONE

*original title - Where is in windows explorer auto arrange disable mode???*

Divya R
Found this helpful 5
Answer
Divya R replied on
Microsoft

Hi Kostbo,
Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

As this is by design of the Windows 7 Operating system, we cannot disable the Auto arrange.
The change in Windows 7 is by design however, if this is something you would like this feature reinstated, please submit your suggestion to:
http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Regards,
Divya R – Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

DarkPhoenix6252
Found this helpful 6
Most Helpful Reply
DarkPhoenix6252 replied on
I am right there with you, Kostbo. I absolutely CAN NOT believe you can not disable auto arrange and manually drag and drop files the way we have been able to do in every version of Windows OS that I can remember. I am honestly considering going back to XP. Not being able to drag/drop and arrange to my specifications severely impedes my ability to be productive on this system. What in the heck were these "advisors" thinking in removing such a vital and basic feature? And I just watched a video of some idiots who are supposedly taking credit for designing the organizing features for Windows 7. They are so darn proud of themselves for creating these fancy search tools and in all actuality, they are complete idiots in disabling one of the most vital tools they have. Newsflash, idiots. Maybe we wouldn't have to have such fancy search capabilities if you let us customize where our files are in the first place. I seriously could just scream right now.
Divya R
Found this helpful 5
Answer
Divya R replied on
Microsoft

Hi Kostbo,
Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

As this is by design of the Windows 7 Operating system, we cannot disable the Auto arrange.
The change in Windows 7 is by design however, if this is something you would like this feature reinstated, please submit your suggestion to:
http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Regards,
Divya R – Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

wd8mgq
Found this helpful 5
wd8mgq replied on

MS will never put the feature to turn off auto arrange back in windows 7, cause they know better..... just ask them!  I spent 15 minutes trying to explain it to a MS technician, and then gave up and hung up.  An absolute waste of 15 minutes! 
DarkPhoenix6252
Found this helpful 6
DarkPhoenix6252 replied on
I am right there with you, Kostbo. I absolutely CAN NOT believe you can not disable auto arrange and manually drag and drop files the way we have been able to do in every version of Windows OS that I can remember. I am honestly considering going back to XP. Not being able to drag/drop and arrange to my specifications severely impedes my ability to be productive on this system. What in the heck were these "advisors" thinking in removing such a vital and basic feature? And I just watched a video of some idiots who are supposedly taking credit for designing the organizing features for Windows 7. They are so darn proud of themselves for creating these fancy search tools and in all actuality, they are complete idiots in disabling one of the most vital tools they have. Newsflash, idiots. Maybe we wouldn't have to have such fancy search capabilities if you let us customize where our files are in the first place. I seriously could just scream right now.
dxcorp
Found this helpful 1
dxcorp replied on

Download: "classic shell" you`ll get classic aero start menu, up button and some usable features, it`s free.
Try god mode, name any folder as: God Mode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} you`ll get some hidden options.

I dont know how to disable auto arrange, I`m browsing for this, when find, put info
casika
Found this helpful 4
casika replied on

Oh my Gosh, I thought that I was the only one having this problem.  I started making an Ancestral Photo Album to leave for my grandkids. Pictures dating from 1885 to the present.  I have 223 pictures already scanned and put into my ANCESTRAL FOLDER. Then we upgraded to Windows 7.  When we transferred the pictures (folders) to Windows 7- all the pictures came out scrambled.  I thought "No Problem.. I will just drag and drop and put them into the proper order again."    NO DICE.   So now what do I do?  I am totally, totally upset.
Onhom
Found this helpful 2
Onhom replied on

You should use a specific program for photos like ACDSee or IrfanView. Explorer is and should be a graphic version of msdos 'dir' 'copy' 'move' and nothing more.
casika
Found this helpful 3
casika replied on

Well Onhom, your answer really doesn't help me - does it ?  What I am presently doing is re-naming each picture by number. example, 1-2-3 etc. I did 100 pictures last night and have another 100+ to go.  I think this is ridiculous.  My previous computer was an XP Pro, my daughter has a Vista and they both allow drag and drop.  Whoever designed this set-up must have been napping on the job.  I suggest that someone re-design that feature and perform some sort of up-grade for all the Windows 7 owners.
dxcorp
Found this helpful 2
dxcorp replied on

To casica: Agree, let they (microsoft) go somewhere very deep if their faulty logic is destroying windows, we`ll find 3rd party solution, normal people already work and soon, hope very soon we`ll get auto arrange removed permanently, so let we do not critic each other, but together find a solution.
LinuxIsBest
Found this helpful 2
LinuxIsBest replied on

I have the same issue.  For about 7 years now, I've created folders to store my pictures.  I started doing this because I had a digital camera that created a new folder for any day when I took pictures.  This handily grouped them into similar batches, and I only had folders for the days I was actually taking photos.

So anyway, inside my "pictures" folder I have "2008", "2009", and I just created the "2010" folder.  Inside each year, I create relevant month folders.  For example, I just created 3 in 2010: "January 2010", "February 2010" & "March 2010".

Windows has always been too stupid to realize these are months of the year, even though I write the month out completely.  As such, it always wanted to do some arbitrary organizing of its own.  Instead, I would drag them into an order with January up towards the top and upper left, and I could quickly find the photos I wanted.  For example, if we had taken a vacation in July 2006, it was easy to find.  Now, if I want to find January, I have to actually take time to look around and see where Windows has decided to put that folder.  Whatever logic it uses, I can guarantee that it makes absolutely no sense to a person.

This is why I want back control over my folders.  Whoever made the decision to take away this user control goofed!  After upgrading this PC to Windows 7, I have decided not to upgrade the other 3 systems (2 desktops and a laptop) in my house until/unless this problem is properly addressed.  So microsoft, if you're listening, no more money for you until you take care of this issue.  No excuses.
casika
Found this helpful 5
casika replied on

Reply In reply to deleted message

Agree, hey microsoft???

Hello to everyone in this site.   I hope you all sent in your complaint to the website that was indicated in the first couple of replies.  I sure did. I really gave them a piece of my mind. I even asked them, if they had someone available to come to my home to rearrange my pictures.  Of course, I got no reply.
Maybe if everyone sends in their complaints, then Microsoft will think about re-instating Drop and Drag.
Previous Previous Page of 8 Next Next