Hidden Folders are Showing. Can't Rehide them!

I recently thought my pc had some malware hiding and received help from Bleeping Computer. Nothing was found but after uninstalling ComboFix, my hidden folders and files won't hide. I can toggle between "Show" and "Don't Show" hidden files, folders and drives but nothing changes when I do. Is there a fix for this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

After you toggle to "Don't Show", did you close and then reopen Windows Explorer?

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I did but there all still visible.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Run the SFC  /SCANNOW  command. This will check and repair if necessary any critical Windows system files.

Click on Start/All programs/Accessories  then
Right click on Command Prompt option and select 'Run as administrator'.
(or "Safe Mode" open a Command prompt)
At the command prompt enter:  SFC  /SCANNOW

Windows 7 - SFC SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the suggestion, but the sfc didn't find any integrety violations. I don't know what to do. Any other suggestions?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JR1437,

Have you tried creating a new profile? It's possible your current one may be corrupted.  Please see the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this helps!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just noticed a new reply!

I attempted to create a new profile today per your link but I couldn't. I created the new user but the new user folder never appeared in the C:\Users dir for me to copy the files into. So I created another user but no-go. I tried restarting, hoping that would trigger the new profile folder but the only folders were All Users, Default User, Default, my admin user, and my standard user.

Also, yhe instructions indicated to copy all but ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log and ntuser.ini so although I couldn't relocate the files I am curious...is it typical to have multiples of these files? I only ask because there's 9 ntuser.dat files in my standard user folder and 27 in my admin user folder. In addition, I notice 2 desktop.ini files on each desktop. I don't know why all of a sudden I can't create new user accounts, though it has been months since I tried to, so really it may not be very sudden at all. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Event Viewer Reports

1. Normally when an error occurs on your computer looking in Event Viewer should be your starting point for finding a solution. Most system related errors are logged and getting an exact copy of the relevant report is important. Unfortunately understanding the reports is not easy and most computer users need help with their interpretation. I have more to say later on interpretation.

2. Event Viewer comprises three main Windows logs. These are Application, Security and System. For troubleshooting purposes System is by far the most important.

3. To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, right click and select Filter Current Log. Check the box before Error and click on OK and you see only Error reports. Click on the Date and Time Column Header to sort. You may need to click a second time to see the latest Report at the top.

4. A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double click on the error you want to copy. Select the Details tab and check the box before XML View. Click on the Copy button to place a copy on your Clipboard and close Event Viewer. Now start your message and paste into the body of the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

5. There are three types of Report, being Information, Warning and Error reports. In most situations it is Error Reports that offer the best information but occasionally Warning Reports provide useful clues.

6. All reports have date and time stamps and when troubleshooting it is important to concentrate on more recent reports. Study reports since the point when the computer was last booted and then check whether a similar report appeared in the previous session. If errors do not repeat investigation as to why they occurred is wasted effort.

7. Within individual reports the more important information is Event ID and Source as these help when looking for help on the internet. The description is equally important and copying the exact text for use as the search criteria greatly helps getting better results when using Google. Do not paraphrase descriptions when asking others for help.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, Gerry, for the tips but my Event viewer is sort of a mess at the moment due to issues my pc is having so I am really unable to separate 1 event cause from another cause.

In any case, I tried to create a new profile hoping mine was corrupt, and a new one would fix my problem. However the new user profile never appeared for me to copy my old user files into and my question is

Is it typical to have multiples of these files?

9 ntuser.dat files in my standard user folder

27 ntuser.dat files in my admin user folder.

If not, then maybe this could be the source of my problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I asked about Event Viewer reports to get clues about what might be causing your problems. Just post 4/6 error reports from the system log  from the start of the last boot. You have to start somewhere.
Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It’s a long shot but you may be able to fix this issue with a registry key change, but back up the registry or create a system restore point before making any changes in case something goes wrong.

Open a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type regedit, press Enter and in the left pane navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.

In the right pane, make sure Hidden has a value of 1 (one). If not, double-click it and make it 1.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2024 Views 4,416 Applies to: