blakmatrix
Had this question 4
Question
blakmatrix asked on

Files "disappear" when you append a period to a folder or filename in windows via GUI

Files "disappear" when you append a period to a folder or filename in windows via GUI

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but definitely doesn't seem like it should be happening. I tried it out on two 64-bit versions and on 32-bit on windows 7. Doesn't seem to make this error in XP or vista.

Can anyone explain to me what is happening?

To reproduce, In windows 7 make a file or folder, THEN append a "." (period) to the end of the name of the file, and watch the file "disappear". It's still there, just need to refresh (F5) and it will reappear (w/o the appended "." because that's an illegal file naming convention).

I have tried doing the same but via command line and it always auto corrects the file names to the conventions, and correctly it remains on the GUI, so I think the problem is related to the graphical way of renaming

-Farrin A. Reid

David Vinod
Found this helpful 0
Answer
David Vinod replied on

Hi,

This seems to be a bug with Windows 7. We really thank you for getting this bug to our notice. This will be put across the developers team. Thanking you again.

Regards
Sreekanth.

SheilaSummers
Found this helpful 0
SheilaSummers replied on

In addition to the problem reported above, files that end in a period and were copied onto the Windows 7 system can't be deleted or renamed.