bluescrubby
Had this question 34
Question
bluescrubby asked on

Windows 7 taskbar thumbnail preview, aero preview not working

Just stopped working.  I rebooted but still no luck.
Ramesh Srinivasan
Found this helpful 8
Answer
Ramesh Srinivasan replied on
Guided Help: Troubleshoot Aero problems in Windows 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/976170

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop Experience]
Ramesh Srinivasan
bluescrubby
Found this helpful 0
bluescrubby replied on

The KB article just says run the troubleshooter, which I already did.  "Troubleshooting could not identify the problem."

When I restart it's OK, but if I put the machine to sleep and wake it up all Aero goes away, including peek, taskbar thumbnails, and Alt-Tab previews.

Just restarted, Aero fine, sleep, wake up, Aero gone.  No other programs run.

Any other thoughts?
Justin Rodino
Found this helpful 0
Justin Rodino replied on

Are you putting it to sleep plugged in or when on battery?  Is it always exhibiting this issue or is it intermittent?  Which build of WIndows 7 are you using?
Justin Rodino
MVP: Windows Desktop Experience
http://www.227volts.com/
bluescrubby
Found this helpful 0
bluescrubby replied on

Ultimate retail.  It's a desktop, so it's always plugged in.  It happens each time.  TIA...
bluescrubby
Found this helpful 0
bluescrubby replied on

I just reinstalled Windows, and am having the same problem.  Looks like a bug?
Justin Rodino
Found this helpful 0
Justin Rodino replied on

Out of curiousity, how can it be ultimate retail?  You posted this on 21 Oct and Ultimate retail wasn't made generally available until 22 Oct...
Justin Rodino
MVP: Windows Desktop Experience
http://www.227volts.com/
bluescrubby
Found this helpful 0
bluescrubby replied on

Got an OEM system builder copy from zipzoomfly on preorder; it came  a few days early.
geeknik
Found this helpful 2
geeknik replied on

MSDN and Technet had all of the versions of Windows 7 Retail since August 6th, 2009. Your curiosity could be construed as a piracy accusation, which isn't really nice, considering that the entire Internet knew that people could get Windows 7 starting on August 6th if they were subscribers to various Microsoft services. :)
bsilverstein2003
Found this helpful 0
bsilverstein2003 replied on

i have no problem with aero preview after waking the system from being asleep if the system has been asleep for a "short" time. If on the other hand the system has been asleep overnight the previews are "forgotten" by win 7. there must be some sort of time out value that causes windows to forget the previews. does anyone know how to up the timeout on this value? what is the magic registry field?
bsilverstein2003
Found this helpful 0
bsilverstein2003 replied on

ok. this appears to be part of the problem WRT preview. if your computer hybernates instead of sleeping then the thumbnails go away. even if you tell your computer to sleep there are some settings under the power options that tell the computer to hybernate after n minutes of sleeping. the number of minutes to wait in sleep mode before hybernating can be altered via the control panel power options. navigate to 
Advanced Settings -> Sleep -> Hybernate after   then set the time to never or whatever you want it to be
Previous Previous Page of 5 Next Next