tspencer103
Had this question 70
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
tspencer103 asked on

Win 7 Desktop does not auto-refresh

Saw another thread on this, but no solution.  Two different laptops, both clean installs.  Intermittently, when I delete or move files on the desktop, the icon remains.  I have to manually refresh to clear the deleted/moved files.

Any ideas?
David_O - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
David_O - Support Engineer replied on

Hello tspencer103,

Thank you for posting.

Third party software might be responsible for this behavior. I would suggest you clean boot Windows to find out the culprit. A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflict. Follow the steps in this KB article to perform this task

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please post back your findings.

David O
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our and let us know what you think.
David O
gc117
Found this helpful 40
Most Helpful Reply
gc117 replied on

Yup, Deckard solved the problem. Here is his post from the other thread for quick reference. His solution worked for me:

"I've read this thread to the end and I've tried all the solutions posted... obviously to no avail.
The bug repeats itself, not randomly but constantly, in any situation, folders, libraries - sorted by name or by whatever.
I then tried something different, which instead WORKED , and here it is.

1) I backed up the registry.
2) Searched for occurrences of the word refresh and found this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance
which contains three subkeys. One of them, curiously enough, is DontRefresh and it has a value of 1 (turned ON)
3) I then changed the value to 0 (turned OFF) and hit F5 to refresh and save the now changed registry.

Guess what? Now, everything (moving, deleting, copying) works and even the Trash Bin refreshes immediately.
I will keep you posted in the next few days to tell you whether the fix still works.

Good luck.

PS: I forgot to say that I have 3 machines and they respectively run Win7 Ult, Win7 Pro and Win7 Home Premium. Of course all of them showed this bug.

8 days and several reboots since the fix and everything is still working fine on all three machines."
David_O - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
David_O - Support Engineer replied on

Hello tspencer103,

Thank you for posting.

Third party software might be responsible for this behavior. I would suggest you clean boot Windows to find out the culprit. A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflict. Follow the steps in this KB article to perform this task

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please post back your findings.

David O
David O
Nucleo
Found this helpful 2
Nucleo replied on

This problem is described in this thread:
Windows Explorer doesn't refresh when moving/deleting

There is no solution yet to fix this issue.

Dear David,
Please let us know when could MS solve this issue by a hotfix, patch, registry editing or any other way?
I'm sure it's not a novelty for MS, because almost all of the Windows versions (9x, XP, Vista sure) were concerned in this issue.

I've done the following:
- deleted IconCache - did not help
- reset folder views - did not help
- turned off file sharing and network discovery - did not help
- made a clean boot (turned off all non MS services in msconfig) - did not help
- ran sfc - did not found any violations
- created new user account - did not help
- updated the BIOS to the latest version - did not help
- updated the VGA driver to the latest version - did not help
- turned off file indexing - did not help
- ran Windows 7 in Safe Mode (without Networking): it seems the issue does not occur (hard to say never occurs, long time test needed - but in Safe Mode it's a bit backward).

I could be satisfied with Windows 7 but this issue is terribly annoying cause I work with a lot of files day by day.

Please tell us some information about it!
I'm looking forward Your answer, sincerely
Nucleo
Nucleo
Found this helpful 0
Nucleo replied on

I've updated the LAN driver, but it did not help. But it's interesting if I disable the network adapter in Device Manager the issue does not occur.
Have You got any idea?
Nucleo
Found this helpful 0
Nucleo replied on

Finally I've reinstalled the whole system (clean install Win7 + all of the other softwares).
I DO NOT USE FILE SHARING and all of the options correlate with it are turned off (I left network type Public as default during install, file sharing and network discovery turned off, don't share any folder of course).
The issue did not occur yet. I'm testing now, later I'll post a long-term result.
pbug
Found this helpful 0
pbug replied on

I have 2 systems running Win 7; on the one running Pro I'm having the same problem.  Desktop does not refresh, even the quick launch bar (yes, I put one in), and I believe also the official crippleware Win7 start menu does not seem to refresh.  This is frustrating, to say the least.  I install software, and it looks like I didn't; like there is no trace of the installation.

What is causing this, and when is MS going to fix it?

Ron
Big CT
Found this helpful 0
Big CT replied on

I am having the same problem (and many others by searching the net).

I have a new install (1 week) with all the latest windows updates. No 3rd party software running. No file sharing.

This is such a basic OS function, its incredible that this problem is occuring!
Nucleo
Found this helpful 0
Nucleo replied on

The issue occurs again after the clean, 2 days old installation. File Sharing turned off. I've got no ideas. I have to return to my previous perceptions. If I disable the network adapter, the issue does not occur.
Nucleo
Found this helpful 0
Nucleo replied on

I've narrowed down more the possible causes of the issue:
If You disable the Client for Microsoft Networks in properties of Local Area Connection - the issue disappear (maybe only in my case).
ICUALL
Found this helpful 3
ICUALL replied on

I've narrowed down more the possible causes of the issue:
If You disable the Client for Microsoft Networks in properties of Local Area Connection - the issue disappear (maybe only in my case).

This worked for me until I rebooted and the problem returned, As Usual Microsoft is blaming the issue on other people instead of trying to resolve a basic Operating System Function.
TS 84
Found this helpful 0
TS 84 replied on

Thank God some other people are having these issues. I've googled this problem a thousand times and all I come up with is people who are having their icons move around.

I have win 7 pro installed on a nicely built new computer (2 months old install). From day 1 when I move (off the desktop), delete, create, save etc., any files I have to manually refresh the screen. Most of the time when I save I see an error telling me the file already exists, this is especially annoying when I'm saving a file from an email in an older version of a microsoft excel or word file.

There has got to be some sort of solution to this. I have intermittent moments when a file WILL appear after I've moved, saved, created etc., but the fact that it's intermittent actually makes it more annoying than a constant failure.

I've created new user accounts and the problem persists. I keep seeing microsoft say try a clean boot, and I keep seeing users saying it's not helping. Has anyone found a solution to this yet?
Previous Previous Page of 9 Next Next