Why does the tooltip display on taskbar icons when I am not hovering my cursor on them?

The icons in my taskbar are always "hovered on" even when my mouse is no where near them. This leads to the summoning of the tooltips and sometimes aero previews which can interfere with the view of currently running programs. What I have noticed about this is that it's always the last icon that my cursor makes contact with before moving it outside the taskbar that makes the tooltip and/or aero preview appear. Is this simply a registry issue? How can I fix this? This has been happening for a while. Restarts don't work. I've checked for malware and spyware with no results.
Answer
Answer
The blog post from the developers that were working on it said that it involves a corruption of the video buffer as it animates to the "fade away" effect of the menu item.  This might explain why it occurs more if a program that already interfaces with the video driver has crashed.

If your video card's latest drivers don't resolve it, you can mitigate it by turning off the animation (so the menu just flat-out disappears instead of fading away, so nothing gets stuck in the acceleration buffer).  You could also disable hardware graphics acceleration but that'd be a big performance hit.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 29, 2024 Views 7,775 Applies to: