Why does a large white box appear on my desktop, using Windows 7, after going on the Internet?

I have a brand new computer running Windows 7.  After about every three times I use the Internet, I get a large white box on my desktop that simply will not go away (The white box is visible once IE is closed).  Upon restarting the computer it goes away, but it always comes back.  One little trick that works is by clicking in the bottom right corner of the desktop screen.  There is a little rectangle down there, and when I click on it, the white box goes away.  If I click on the rectangle again, the white box comes back.  It isn't stopping any functions, but its really annoying, especially on a brand new computer. Any info would be great!

Answer
Answer

Do you have double twist installed? I found that Double Twist was causing the rectangle to appear on my screen.

If its not double twist I suggest opening up the Task Manager and start to end processes of non-system running applications till the rectangle goes away.. This should help you identify which program is causing the rectangle to appear.

40 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi dmbfan,

From what I understood I feel it is an Internet Explorer (IE) page that is not closing properly. I would suggest you to run Internet Explorer in No add-ons mode and see if the issue repeats.

Follow the steps to do the same;

Step 1: Run Internet Explorer in "No Add-Ons" mode

Internet Explorer add-ons, such as ActiveX controls and browser toolbars, are used by some Web sites to provide an enhanced browsing experience. An error may occur if an add-on is damaged or if an add-on conflicts with Internet Explorer. To determine whether the error is caused by an add-on, run Internet Explorer in "No Add-Ons" mode. To do this, follow these steps:

1) Click Start, and then type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box.
2) Click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons). Internet Explorer opens without add-ons, toolbars, or plug-ins.
3) Test Internet Explorer to verify that it works correctly.

If the issue does not persist in No Add-Ons mode then you may follow the steps below to Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the issue

Step 2: Use the Manage Add-ons tool in Internet Explorer to individually disable each add-on to determine which add-on is causing errors. To do this, follow these steps:

Internet Explorer 8

1. Open Internet Explorer 8.
2. Click Tools, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. On the Show drop-down menu, select All add-ons to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer.
4. For each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable in the Information window.
5. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.
6. Exit and then restart Internet Explorer.
7. If issues do not reoccur, repeat steps 1 through 3.
8. Click Enable for a single add-on.
9. Repeat steps 6 through 8 until you determine which add-on causes errors to occur.

After you have used this process to determine which add-on is causing errors, you can disable that add-on. Or, you can uninstall the software that installs the add-on. We also recommend that you contact the software vendor that provided the add-on for additional troubleshooting and support.

For more information on the above steps you may access the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Varun J: MICROSOFT SUPPORT
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let us know what you think

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 1, 2024 Views 76,961 Applies to: