ry.an
Had this question 5
Question
ry.an asked on

W7HP: This image cannot be set as wallpaper. An internal error occurred.

I purchased a Samsung N120 that came with Windows 7 Starter, which after unpacking and setup I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium via calling the Microsoft Store who emailed me the upgrade key.

I ran the upgrade which performed without error. Everything seemed to run perfect until I tried to set a wallpaper to the desktop background. 

When I select a new wallpaper via the Personalization menu and click save, it gives no errors except nothing at all happens. The wallpaper does not change.

I try right clicking the actual image and selecting "Set as Wallpaper..." and I get the same effect. No error, just nothing happens.

So I preview the image in the Image Preview software that is integrated within Win 7 and it throws the error mentioned in the title. "This image cannot be set as wallpaper. An internal error has occurred"

I ran an sfc /scannow in the admin command prompt and it came back with no errors. 

I simply am stumped at this point.

I absolutely do not want a workaround like WindowBlinds or any of that resource draining 3rd party software. I simply want a fix. 

ry.an
Found this helpful 0
Answer
ry.an replied on

So after two hours on the phone with microsoft support it all came down to a corrupted user account. Simply created a new admin account and it worked just fine.....
Jetta48
Found this helpful 0

Does this happen only with pictures of your own or the in-built Windows 7 themes as well?

All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Disclaimer: You use my posts entirely at your own risk. I do not work for or represent Microsoft.
ry.an
Found this helpful 0
ry.an replied on

It doesnt work for the built-in themes as well. If I select a theme and click Save it changes the window colors and all the sound settings, however the background doesn't budge. Again no errors. I even tried selecting one of the solid color backgrounds but it still doesn't change.
Jetta48
Found this helpful 0

Does your graphics device meet the requirements for Windows 7? Is its drivers up to date?  - particularly WDDM.

Run the Aero and Hardware Troubleshooters.

All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Disclaimer: You use my posts entirely at your own risk. I do not work for or represent Microsoft.
ry.an
Found this helpful 0
ry.an replied on

I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before the upgrade to be sure the system was able to support it. I got only one conflict warning which was with some software bundled by Samsung for remote connections, and yes all my drivers (including the Display Driver) are up to date. That was on of the first things I checked. 

Ill run those troubleshooters later this afternoon (not sure work would enjoy me tinkering with my netbook right now)

I'm assuming your talking about these?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-problems-with-Windows-Aero

and 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Jetta48
Found this helpful 0

I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before the upgrade to be sure the system was able to support it. I got only one conflict warning which was with some software bundled by Samsung for remote connections, and yes all my drivers (including the Display Driver) are up to date. That was on of the first things I checked. 

Ill run those troubleshooters later this afternoon (not sure work would enjoy me tinkering with my netbook right now)

I'm assuming your talking about these?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-problems-with-Windows-Aero

and 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Go to Control Panel->Troubleshooting is easier.

PC Barbie
Found this helpful 0
PC Barbie replied on

I'm afraid that you can't change the background with Windows 7 Starter Edition.  Starter Edition has always been portrayed as a very limited-functionality version specifically designed for netbooks and other low-powered PCs.  The features are limited to ensure a reasonable quality of experience, despite the low hardware specs.  If your machine is up to it you can always install a higher-functioning version.

Barbara

Jetta48
Found this helpful 0

I'm afraid that you can't change the background with Windows 7 Starter Edition.  Starter Edition has always been portrayed as a very limited-functionality version specifically designed for netbooks and other low-powered PCs.  The features are limited to ensure a reasonable quality of experience, despite the low hardware specs.  If your machine is up to it you can always install a higher-functioning version.

Barbara

The OP says he upgraded from Starter to Home Premium.

PC Barbie
Found this helpful 0
PC Barbie replied on

Hi Jetta,

Thanks for the correction...I guess I wasn't fully awake when I posted that response.

Cheers,

Barbara

ry.an
Found this helpful 0
ry.an replied on

I ran both troubleshooting devices and both ran cleanly. 

It looks like I'm running out of any other options aside from trying to format and reinstall, although I would have no idea how to do that with a netbook.

ry.an
Found this helpful 0
Answer
ry.an replied on

So after two hours on the phone with microsoft support it all came down to a corrupted user account. Simply created a new admin account and it worked just fine.....
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next