Acc1999
Had this question 154
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
Acc1999 asked on

Unable to change my desktop background Windows 7 Starter

**Original Title**
I can't change my desktop background in Windows 7 Starter on a Dell Inspiron mini. It just stays blue with a windows logo.

I choose one of my photos and click on Set as Background, and then nothing happens. In Control Panel, there is no Personalize option, and Right-Clicking the desktop doesn't have one either.

SharonMary
Found this helpful 30
Answer
SharonMary replied on

Hi shahellie nag,

It sounds as though you have Windows 7 Starter. Is that correct?

If so, there is no personalization. However, you can get around this very easily by downloading Oceanis; it's safe, it's free and has been a solution for so many people with the same problem as you. Here is the link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/47294-desktop-background-change-windows-7-starter.html

When you have downloaded it you will be able to change the desktop background and there is aslo an optional desktop slideshow (shuffle).

Let us know if that solves your problem. If you don't have Windows 7 Starter then your problem will have to be resolved another way. Please come back and let us know if that is the case.

All the best,

Sharon

Sharon Roffey
Queensland, Australia
Sharon Roffey
Queensland, Australia

Microsoft Community Contributor Award recipient
Malkeleah
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Malkeleah replied on
I'm afraid that you can't change the background with Windows 7 Starter Edition. It's a limitation of the Starter Edition and as I understand it, can't be gotten around.
MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Malkeleah
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Malkeleah replied on
I'm afraid that you can't change the background with Windows 7 Starter Edition. It's a limitation of the Starter Edition and as I understand it, can't be gotten around.
cityfox
Found this helpful 2
cityfox replied on
I got a new net book with win7 basic on it, did all the upgrades ect, backup disc ect, only to find I cannot change the wall paper,
but having read a post on another forum I have taken what matt wrote (http://blog.mattatobin.com/2009/06/09/windows-seven-starter-kill-wallpaper-and-have-classic-theme.binoc ) and change to the blue screen then right click on the desktop and right click gadgets,
then added the slide pictures gadget then on the right side of the gadget is a bar the middle icon will enlarge the picture all you have to do then is to put a photo in the picture file or more for a slide show
Malkeleah
Found this helpful 1
Malkeleah replied on

That's an interesting link. Thanks for sharing it. Personally, I think it's giving up a lot just to have a background wallpaper and gadgets, but then I think Starter Edition is ridiculously crippled. For myself, I wouldn't buy a netbook with Win7 Starter Edition but if you're happy then that's great. Again, thanks for sharing the link.
trey168
Found this helpful 8
trey168 replied on

One could always take ownership of \windows\web\wallpaper\windows\img0.jpg ... change the file permissions to allow you to rename it and put yourself a background in that folder and name it img0.jpg ;)

This is a ridiculous limitation of Starter Edition...
squarenutt
Found this helpful 3
squarenutt replied on

Seriously Microsoft, I cant change my wallpaper? 

I have been using Linux the last few years and recently bought a new netbook with windows 7 Starter. I have heard nothing but good things about 7 and I want to like it. Heck I even liked Windows ME. Its the little dumb things like this that are going to cause me to put Linux on this computer too.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
Found this helpful 0
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP replied on

On Fri, 18-Dec-09 05:35:03 GMT, squarenutt wrote:

> Seriously Microsoft, I cant change my wallpaper? I have
> been using Linux the last few years and recently bought a
> new netbook with windows 7 Starter. I have heard nothing
> but good things about 7 and I want to like it. Heck I even
> liked Windows ME. Its the little dumb things like this that
> are going to cause me to put Linux on this computer too.

nging the
background, it's Windows 7 *Starter* Edition. The Starter Edition is a
very primitive edition of Windows 7, and one that I (and probably many
others here) would have recommended against if you had asked before
buying it.
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

Ken Blake
LaurenElise8
Found this helpful 1
LaurenElise8 replied on
I got a mini laptop for Christmas this morning, and I am very disappointed with the Windows 7 Starter Edition. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that you can't do something as simple as changing the background. This is very sad. 
Tubesox
Found this helpful 0
Tubesox replied on

I tried that. Deleted the old file are renamed the file I wanted. I now get a black screen as desktop.
staceyxxxxxx
Found this helpful 1
staceyxxxxxx replied on

i'm unable to change the file permissions, how do you do this?
bluea_15
Found this helpful 2
bluea_15 replied on

i just got a netbook acer aspire one and it has window7 starter
anddd i cant change the desktop backgroundddd eitherrr, i trieddd
on the desktop too andd nothingggg it is making me go crazy and
its stupidd that i cant change it at all!
Previous Previous Page of 5 Next Next