Earthdogue
Had this question 5
Question
Earthdogue asked on

Screensaver not working Windows 7. New video card required??

I am not able to use a screensaver, but it is related to the video card.  The error message says "This screensaver requires a new video card or one that is compatible with Direct3D."

Someone else has already asked this question but was not answered in the forum that I could see ie: addressing the video card issue.

Thanks!

solution_provider
Found this helpful 1
Answer
solution_provider replied on

This issue occurs even though the video card is capable of running the screen saver and is compatible with Direct3D. So, you do not have to install a video card. All you need to do is to apply the hotfix given in the link below that will fix the issue.

Error message when you set the screen saver to a 3D screen saver in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: "The screen saver can't run because it requires a newer video card or one that's compatible with Direct3D"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2159238

Nikhil Deshpande
Found this helpful 0
Nikhil Deshpande replied on

Hi 

give us more information about the type of screensaver and about video card.

the screensaver that may not be supported by your card, make sure about support,

meanwhile check video performance ratings from control panel>system security>system.

try uninstalling card driver and install the updated or same again, check the issue.

just a try

create new admin account and check the issue. 

Best regards

Nikhil

solution_provider
Found this helpful 1
Answer
solution_provider replied on

This issue occurs even though the video card is capable of running the screen saver and is compatible with Direct3D. So, you do not have to install a video card. All you need to do is to apply the hotfix given in the link below that will fix the issue.

Error message when you set the screen saver to a 3D screen saver in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: "The screen saver can't run because it requires a newer video card or one that's compatible with Direct3D"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2159238

AmayaMalkavian
Found this helpful 0
AmayaMalkavian replied on

I'm having the very same problem. I've bought the laptop with windows 7 professional installed. My video card is ATI Radeon Mobility x1300 and mentioned screensavers don't work, even though, people have similar video card as I do, and in their case, the screensaver works normally. I've found another screensaver which is designed for Windows 7, it's called Dream Aquarium. I managed to run it on a computer which has nVidia 6150SE. A lot weaker card than ATI itself. So I'm wondering what is up with that. The computer runs on Windows XP Professional, while my laptop runs on Windows 7 Professional. I thought that re-installing windows would fix the problem, but it didn't.

How can I make this work? All screensavers worked in XP version, but in this version, only blank screensaver works, others give the error. Maybe I need to install something, but I don't know what exactly would that be?
You know...the computers will soon take over. Why fight it?