vsolrac
Had this question 109
Question
vsolrac asked on

Screen saver wont work Windows 7

A minor annoyance, but still... Screen saver on clean installs of Windows 7 Beta and 7 RC fail to activate. None of the Windows screen savers will work.
JCHolcomb
Found this helpful 7
Answer
JCHolcomb replied on

I found this DOS-code work-around on the "Unofficial MagicJack Forum."  It definitely works better than anything else I've seen, as it actually overrides the commands MagicJack uses to disable the screensaver and power management.  It gives you back complete and normal functionality of these two things.  Also, the patch will stick, even after a reboot.  Just be sure to use the first set of commands shown to find the correct path for your machine. The differences are shown by the question marks (?). Then execute the second set of commands using that path.

This was posted by "Satoru," who got the information originally from dslreports.com:

"Here's some new information that will help Windows 7 and maybe Vista users as well. To give proper credit I obtained this information from here and have tested it to work under Windows 7 starter

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24708708-Lucky-You-I-dont-think-so

The following command shows MJ has a request to prevent display and system power savings. If you get an error, you need to run the command prompt as an Administrator:

Code:
C:\>powercfg /requests 
DISPLAY: 
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume?\Users\????\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe 

SYSTEM: 
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume?\Users\????\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe 

AWAYMODE: 
None. 

The following commands will override (disable) the power request:

Code:

powercfg /requestsoverride PROCESS magicJack.exe DISPLAY
powercfg /requestsoverride PROCESS \Device\HarddiskVolume?\Users\????\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe DISPLAY

Notice one command has the full path as it appeared in the requests output. Be sure to use the path from your requests output. You need both or the power savings won't work.

This patch will survive reboots. You can check by running the command before and after a reboot

Code:

powercfg /requestsoverride

Hope this update helps everyone!!"

Debbie - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Debbie - Support Engineer replied on

Hi vsolrac,

Thanks for posting your responses.

Has the ScreenSaver ever worked?  Have you tried a system restore to a point in time that it did work?

Will the Screen Saver work in a clean boot?

I would suggest trying a Cleanboot to see if the problem happens. If it doesn't happen when you are in a cleanboot then you can use the steps in the article to narrow down the cause of the problem, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135.  The article referenced is for Vista, however, the steps are also applicable for Windows 7.

Step 1: Perform a clean boot Note If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to modify the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.
  1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
  2. Click Start
    , type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
  4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
  5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Note:  Remember to put your system back in the normal mode state prior to returning to normal activity on your system.  To do this, follow the instructions in the article link above to return to a normal setting.

Also, in ScreenSaver settings what is the minutes set to before activation?  Have you tried setting it to one minute then seeing if it activates.  If the screen saver time is set too long it may be that different components are set to hibernate prior to the time the screen saver activates and doesn't allow the screen saver time to engage.

Also, try the following to verify the integrity of your system files;

If you are logged on as administrator - click the StartORB / in the search line type "SFC /SCANNOW" without the quotes and hit enter. 

Let the system file checker verify the integrity of the system files.  Let us know if it finds errors.  If it finds errors that it cannot correct, put your system installation DVD in the DVD drive and run the process again.  If it still cannot correct errors, try to input what errors you receive into the posting.

Regards,

Debbie
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Debbie Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
juzdownunder
Found this helpful 13
Most Helpful Reply
juzdownunder replied on

I should have cleaned this thread up earlier...it's a known issue with some of the Microsoft Wireless keyboards, and Microsoft have put a fix out for it.  It's called the Microsoft HID Non-User Input Data Filter, it should appear as an optional udpate when you visit the MS update website.
Found this helpful 1
Hi vsolrac,

Thanks for posting to Getting Ready for Windows 7 community forum.

What type of Video Card is being used on the system Windows 7 is installed on?

Are you able to run any of the Aero features?  What screen savers aren't working?

Click StartORB / Right Click Computer and select Properties / from the Properties screen - please submit what the Customer Experience overall Performance rating is and if you would, please click on the link to the Rating and then submit the individual components, in example, CPU, Memory, rating are as well.

In addition to the steps above, if you ran the Windows Upgrade Advisor it may have provided further information about points of concern that may need addressed prior to installing Windows 7.  Here is a link to the Windows Upgrade Advisor -

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Let us know on the ratings and what screen savers you are running so we may provide further of review involving this issue.

Regards,

Debbie
Debbie Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
vsolrac
Found this helpful 1
vsolrac replied on

Other Aero features are working properly (e.i. desktop themes, sounds, backgrounds/colors.)
None of the Windows 7 screen savers turn on... they work under preview yet never start on their own.

Here are my system specs and score:
ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO w/256 ram ...3.6
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ ...4.3
3 gb Ram ...4.9
Over all Score: 3.6

Thanks.
Cheers.

Found this helpful 1
Answer

Hi vsolrac,

Thanks for posting your responses.

Has the ScreenSaver ever worked?  Have you tried a system restore to a point in time that it did work?

Will the Screen Saver work in a clean boot?

I would suggest trying a Cleanboot to see if the problem happens. If it doesn't happen when you are in a cleanboot then you can use the steps in the article to narrow down the cause of the problem, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135.  The article referenced is for Vista, however, the steps are also applicable for Windows 7.

Step 1: Perform a clean boot Note If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to modify the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.
  1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
  2. Click Start
    , type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
  4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
  5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Note:  Remember to put your system back in the normal mode state prior to returning to normal activity on your system.  To do this, follow the instructions in the article link above to return to a normal setting.

Also, in ScreenSaver settings what is the minutes set to before activation?  Have you tried setting it to one minute then seeing if it activates.  If the screen saver time is set too long it may be that different components are set to hibernate prior to the time the screen saver activates and doesn't allow the screen saver time to engage.

Also, try the following to verify the integrity of your system files;

If you are logged on as administrator - click the StartORB / in the search line type "SFC /SCANNOW" without the quotes and hit enter. 

Let the system file checker verify the integrity of the system files.  Let us know if it finds errors.  If it finds errors that it cannot correct, put your system installation DVD in the DVD drive and run the process again.  If it still cannot correct errors, try to input what errors you receive into the posting.

Regards,

Debbie
csquier74
Found this helpful 1
csquier74 replied on
I am having the same problem.  If I run the .scr file directly, it turns on, but regardless of which screensaver is chosen, it will not activate on its own.  I have also tried changing the activation times without any luck.  My hardware:

Intel e8400 running at stock 3ghz
4gb 1066 ram
ati radeon x1950

Performance Index:  6.5 processor, 7.0 memory, 5.9 graphics and hard disk.
Timsky
Found this helpful 1
Timsky replied on

I experience the same problem. But it is not only the screensaver that does not activate. Every timed event set in the energy options does not activate. The screen does not shut off and especially the computer never goes into standby. It does not matter what times I use, it never works. I tried the clean boot thing, but still the same problems.

The computer is al little homeserver based on the nVidia ION system.

Thanks.
Tim
juzdownunder
Found this helpful 2
juzdownunder replied on

I'm having the same problem, using an nvidia 8600GT video card (with silentpipe).  The screen saver (i'm using "blank screen", set to 10 mins) won't ever kick in, and the power settings are set to shut the screen off after 15 mins, but it never happens either.  Nor does standby after 30 mins, although if i hit the standby key on my keyboard, the system goes into standby just fine.

As a matter of fact, this problem might have only started happening after I installed my new Microsoft 1000 wireless keyboard/mouse combo...i must check by switching back to my old gigabyte wireless combo.
vsolrac
Found this helpful 1
vsolrac replied on
Thanks for all of you who tried to help out. Although doing another clean install is not terribly helpful, I know, as an IT guy myself, that it is the easy out response. Not so easy when it is your machine and all your files and settings and etc. But thanks anyway.

So, the screen saver works. It was nothing I did to correct it directly. It actually was fixed while dealing with my other Windows 7 problem (another thread here) See, my Guest account often froze when accessing Windows Explorer (or any access to files and drives). Not having had ANY reply to that problem, I turned the account OFF. No the screen savers works. Go figure. Most be another one of those "Its a feature not a problem!"

Thanks again for all your input. And maybe my fix will fix other's on here -although it really can't be called a fix but rather and bypass :)

Cheers.
cprimous
Found this helpful 4
cprimous replied on

I had the same problem, but found that it was related to the "slide show" feature of the desktop background.  If the background change interval is smaller than the screen saver interval, then it will not activate.  In other words, if your desktop background is set to change every 3 minutes, but your screen saver is set to activate after 5 minutes, then it will never activate.  A background change is counted as "activity" by the OS. 

Hope this helps.
milbar
Found this helpful 1
milbar replied on

This does seem to be the source.  I simply unplugged the base station (USB) for the Windows Multimedia keyboard and the screensaver worked as it should.  Gonna check for updated Win 7 driver for the keyboard/mouse combo.
juzdownunder
Found this helpful 13
juzdownunder replied on

I should have cleaned this thread up earlier...it's a known issue with some of the Microsoft Wireless keyboards, and Microsoft have put a fix out for it.  It's called the Microsoft HID Non-User Input Data Filter, it should appear as an optional udpate when you visit the MS update website.
Previous Previous Page of 12 Next Next