How do you change icon text color in Windows 7?

I have spent an hour googling with no answer.

I have tried other forums with no luck.

The only answers I can find apply only to Windows XP.

I want to change the color of the text on the icons on my desktop and I am running Windows 7 64.

I have gone under Window Color and Appearance and went down to the icon font but the color is grayed out and I cant change it no matter what I do.

I can only change the size and font but not the color.

The thing is, I know there is a way to change the text color because it used to be black and I was messing around with a few different options and know it is white and after about an hour and a half of googling and trying to figure out what I did I still cant figure out how to change it back.

I took a screen shot of the area being grayed out and me not being able to change the setting but I didn't know how to post it here so I just made it my avatar.

It might be kind of hard to see but its the best I know how to do.

Please help.

Answer
Answer

There is no easy, direct way to change the desktop font color in Windows 7.  From what I can see, Windows will judge the background color and set the font color to black if the background is light, but you have to log off and on again to see this change - at least sometimes.

There is a downloadable freeware tool called TransText that can be used to change it directly.  Note:  I have not personally used this tool.  And there's a secondary problem with changing from a light to dark font using a tool like this, and that is that you'll have to turn off the "drop shadow" effect in the Performance Options dialog. When Windows makes the change it manages the drop shadow as well.

Also keep in mind the bold variant of the font can be selected, which does make it a little easier to read.

-Noel

53 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2023 Views 114,875 Applies to: