Boris Le
Had this question 4
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
Boris Le asked on

How can I setup a computer with Windows 7 to be used as Kiosk computer

Hi,

We need Windows 7 in so called "Kiosk mode" with single application running.

All keyboard shortcuts (including Ctrl-Alt-Del) allowing to leave the running application should be blocked.

Is there a way to do this under Windows 7?

Thank you in advance

/Boris

Dena B
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Dena B replied on
Microsoft

Hi jillbeanpallipe,

If you still need assistance with the Microsoft Management Console and Group Policy, you may find the Windows 7 IT Pro Forums more helpful.

Dena
Andre Da Costa
Found this helpful 3

You will need at least a minimum Windows 7 Professional to disable some elements of the Windows interface and security controls such as Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Here are some tutorials about how to setup one:

Configuring Your Own Kiosk Machine « Team Tutorials Windows SteadyState in a Kiosk or Internet Café How to setup Windows Vista and 7 as a kiosk Public PC Desktop for Windows 7 - Setup an Internet kiosk
Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin | Notebooks | Microsoft MVP
techingiteasy.wordpress.com
Windows Expert - Consumer
Boris Le
Found this helpful 0
Boris Le replied on

Thank you, Andre

Some of the links are helpful.

After reading them, I still have two questions:

1. Why did you mention Windows 7 Professional?  I fail to find anything about this in the links above. Can you please point me to the right place?

2. I also fail to find any specific recipe to disable in some way Ctrl-Alt-Del. Moreover, I've seen another users asking the same question in the comments to the above articles... Can you please elaborate more on this too?

Thank you in advance

/Boris

JeffLloyd
Found this helpful 3
JeffLloyd replied on
We use a simple app called Secure Lockdown by Inteset. It does exactly what you need.
jillbeanpallipe
Found this helpful 0
jillbeanpallipe replied on

Thanks for the links, but they prove to be inadequate for my situation. I am in a public library with PCs for browsing the library's online catalog and nothing else.  
I need:

1 admin user account that I can log into to check up on the PC from time to time that has no restrictions, 
AND

1 limited user account that ONLY interacts with Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome. - NO desktop access, no run, cmd, etc. no way to mess around behind the scenes.
but some hidden way to switch to the admin profile and autologin to the limited user account

I have an internet filter in place so that users can only go to a few sites related to the library's online catalog. 

The solutions I have tried lock the entire computer down for all users, which does not help me
 - I need controls that are linked to the limited user account ONLY. 

I have Windows 7 Professional

Thanks!
Dena B
Found this helpful 0
Dena B replied on
Microsoft

Hi

If the troubleshooting steps in this thread did not resolve your issue, create a new thread here. This will mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar topics, allowing us to focus on each customer individually.
Dena
VIRL_Admin
Found this helpful 0
VIRL_Admin replied on

Have you found a reasonable solution for this scenario?  I too am from a Library and am looking to accomplish the same goal.  I have been using to this point a Windows XP platform with Steady State to lock down the environment and then Deep Freeze to reset it every night, however with a new hardware platform am looking to find a reasonable Windows 7 alternative.
jillbeanpallipe
Found this helpful 0
jillbeanpallipe replied on

I am currently working with the "microsoft management console" and Group Policy in Windows 7. It is a little overwhelming in terms of how many possible settings you can configure, but I have successfully locked down one profile on one PC using Microsoft Management console. I am about to try this on a second computer just using Group Policy from within the profile I want to lock down. To find these Group Policy settings in Windows 7, click on the start button and type "gpedit.msc" and go to User Configuration and then Administrative Templates folder under User Configuration. I am NOT an expert on Group Policy and would recommend you do some research on the Microsoft site about Group Policy before changing any settings. It seems very easy to lock oneself out of a PC with these tools, so please read carefully!
Dena B
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Dena B replied on
Microsoft

Hi jillbeanpallipe,

If you still need assistance with the Microsoft Management Console and Group Policy, you may find the Windows 7 IT Pro Forums more helpful.

Dena
RhettWW
Found this helpful 0
RhettWW replied on

One option is a 3rd party software.  We have used one call Fortres for years.  The best part of this software is you have a hotkey that can be used to unlock the desktop make changes, then lock it back.  Works great and not too expensive.

http://www.fortresgrand.com/