Tiger205
Had this question 11
Question
Tiger205 asked on

For Windows 7, I can't get the mouse "snap to" function to work even though I have complied with the directions.

I have experienced this problem on two different Windows 7 computers.
Grzegorz Krzymiński
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Grzegorz Krzymiński replied on

Next time when the dialog box "Do you want to permanently..." appears press ENTER at your keyboard.
Grzegorz Krzymiński
Found this helpful 3
Maybe snap function was turned off?

To turn Snap on or off
  1. Control Panel > Easy of Access > Easy of Access Center

2. Under Explore all settings , click Make the mouse easier to use .

3. Under Make it easier to manage windows , do one of the following:

• To turn Snap off, select the Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen check box.

• To turn Snap on, clear the Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen check box.

4. Click OK .

Tiger205
Found this helpful 0
Tiger205 replied on

Thanks.  Unfortunately it didn't help.
Grzegorz Krzymiński
Found this helpful 0

Does WinKey+[left arrow, right arrow] with active window still works, or maybe it doesn't work too?
Tiger205
Found this helpful 0
Tiger205 replied on

Not sure I understand you.  BTW my primary need is in Outlook when I am deleting things; "snap to" worked fine in Outlook on XP
Grzegorz Krzymiński
Found this helpful 1

Snap - function which allow you to arrange windows to the left/right side of the desktop, or make maximize them when snapping to the top edge of desktop... we are talking about the same thing, or maybe something else?

"Snap to" it's not only available with mouse. You can also arrange windows using keyboard. When some windows is active (it was clicked) you can press WinKey+"left arrow" to snap that window to the left edge of desktop.. right arrow to the right edge. (tip at the bottom of that site: Arrange Windows site by site using Snap )
Grzegorz Krzymiński
Found this helpful 0

I'm sorry.. When I saw Windows 7 and Snap I was thinking about the new feature available in system.

I guess you have checked Snap to under Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse > Pointer Option > Snap to. That thread appears in many boards but I can't find any solution. There are some advices to update driver for mouse, but mostly it doesn't help.

I've just enabled "snap to" function and I saw it works only for some kind of window/dialog box. Are you sure it doesn't work completely, no matter what kind of window you open?

You said that you need it mainly in Outlook.. I understand that some window was displayed to you and the "snap to" function makes it easier for you to press the button. It won't be the perfect solution but you don't need the snap to function to make it easier, but...

Next time when you are expecting to press the button which should be pointed by the "snap to" function just press ENTER.
Tiger205
Found this helpful 0
Tiger205 replied on

Thanks.  My primary need is in Outlook, Deleted Items when I go to "X" an item permanently.  The dialog box, "Do you want to permanently delete the selected items?" pops up.  With the "snap to" mouse function activated in XP, the mouse cursor arrow automatically would go to the default selection box (in this case: OK).  It does not in 7 and therefore adds a step as I need to move the mouse to the default box.
Grzegorz Krzymiński
Found this helpful 0
Answer

Next time when the dialog box "Do you want to permanently..." appears press ENTER at your keyboard.
Grzegorz Krzymiński
Found this helpful 0

The last hope... try to think what these two computer have similar... is there some special application which could make "snap to" function unable to use

Because... I've tested this function with my both computers and it works in both cases.
Tiger205
Found this helpful 0
Tiger205 replied on

Thank you!  Hitting ENTER works.  I'll research your other suggestion: One computer is a Dell; the other a Lenovo.  On both I open Outlook with an IE tab within Firefox . . . but that worked on the XP (IBM) computer
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next