Desktop icons disappear when computer "wakes," only fix is turning monitor off then on

I

I just bought an Hp Pavilion this weekend, hooked it up last night and am having an issue. Whenever my computer enters sleep mode, when I hit a button to  wake it  up everything is gone except my desktop background. Even hitting ctrl+LT+DELETE does nothing. I do get a quick monitor message that the DVI on my monitor is "inactive."

Here's the weird part -- if I turn my monitor off, then back on, everything magically reappears. And the DVi status on the monitor is then "active."  Anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how to fix?

Answer
Answer
I

I just bought an Hp Pavilion this weekend, hooked it up last night and am having an issue. Whenever my computer enters sleep mode, when I hit a button to  wake it  up everything is gone except my desktop background. Even hitting ctrl+LT+DELETE does nothing. I do get a quick monitor message that the DVI on my monitor is "inactive."

Here's the weird part -- if I turn my monitor off, then back on, everything magically reappears. And the DVi status on the monitor is then "active."  Anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how to fix?

Hi

Since this is a brand new system, I would check with HP Support first. This could be a known issue with that system.

This could be a BIOS power state issue, a bad DVI cable, or a problem with the monitor itself.

HP Support - Laptops, Desktop

HP Support Forums-Main Page

Let us know what you find.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP – Windows Expert - Consumer
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 3, 2021 Views 2,809 Applies to: