aleksskela
Had this question 9
Question
aleksskela asked on

Change windows 7 language from French to English

Just bought an acer aspire....no comments please...I live in France and should use their language but I dont. The problem I have is changing the installed language being French...to English. I have the premium version. I have been into Change languages and all I get is change keyboard language. Any offers please
wishes for a good new year to all
TrekDozer
Found this helpful 2
Answer
TrekDozer replied on
Language - Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate

To install a different language - Multilingual User Interface (MUI) - you need to have Windows 7 Ultimate.

Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate
Type Anytime Upgrade in the Search programs and files box in the Start menu and click on the Windows Anytime Upgrade icon.  From there, you can buy an Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate. Then your can enter your Anytime Upgrade product key and perform a simple upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate so you can install a different language.

If you are in Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK, and the US you can use Anytime Upgrade. If not you will need to buy Windows 7 Ultimate, or buy Windows 7 in the language you need.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/windows-anytime-upgrade

Install Language Pack in Windows 7 Ultimate

1. Start -> All Programs --> Windows Update --> Optional Updates.
2. Open optional Updates and go to the section Windows 7 Language Packs.
3. Tick the Language Pack you want and hit OK
4. Proceed with Install Updates
5. Depiction of Windows 7 downloading a Language Pack
6. Automatic install initiated after download

How to change the Windows 7 Display Language:

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Clock, Language, and Region / Change the display language
2. Switch the display language in the Choose a display language dropdown menu.
3. Click OK
4. Log off for the changes to take effect (This will affect only the user profile under which you are currently logged on).

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.
Andre Da Costa
Found this helpful 0
You will need to do an upgrade to the Ultimate edition using Windows Anytime Upgrade since Windows 7 Home Premium does not support multi-lingual user interfaces (Language Packs). To learn more about Anytime Upgrade, please see the following:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade

Once you have upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate, you can go to Windows Update and download the English MUI.
Andre Da Costa http://adacosta.spaces.live.com http://www.activewin.com
techingiteasy.wordpress.com
Windows Expert - Consumer
Benmitchell
Found this helpful 0
Benmitchell replied on

I have the same issue. I live in France, bought a PC with windows 7 home premium edition 64 IN FRENCH.

I would like to change to English but not only as a display language - some programs you buy as downloads (games for example) check your windows language version and get installed in that language (for example Neverwinter nights 2 from Atari).

Will upgrading to ultimate and using the language packs actually make my windows version an English version or just display text in English?

or do I have to buy windows 7 again but in ENglish, unistall the existing windows and re install the new one?

Thanks

Ben

Andre Da Costa
Found this helpful 0

Will upgrading to ultimate and using the language packs actually make my windows version an English version or just display text in English?

or do I have to buy windows 7 again but in ENglish, unistall the existing windows and re install the new one?

Thanks

Ben

It will actually allow you to change your system language to English.

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin |Notebooks | Microsoft MVP
techingiteasy.wordpress.com
Windows Expert - Consumer
pbot-corsican
Found this helpful 0
pbot-corsican replied on

If I may, if you live in a country, you have to expect that the computer you buy will be in the language of that country. This is especially true if you buy your machine in a store.

I live in the US and travel every month to France for business. OK, I happen to speak both languages fluently and be a dual citizen.

I just bought last May (in France) an Acer Aspire One netbook as well. I am not laughing, since I also have a power house Sony VAIO laptop, as well as Linux machines and a Macbook Pro 15.  I use the Acer for travel and after having added 1 Gig of RAM, the machine runs like a charm with Win 7 starter edition .

However, there is always the possibility of buying the machine online. Amazon France for example, will give you the choice to have yourWindows 7 version either in French or in any other language .

I just purchased a laptop for one of my employees in France and when configuring the machine, I was asking which language I would like the version of Windows to be in.

pbot-corsican
Found this helpful 0
pbot-corsican replied on

My reply from an earlier quote:

If I may, if you live in a country, you have to expect that the computer you buy will be in the language of that country. This is especially true if you buy your machine in a store.

I live in the US and travel every month to France for business. OK, I happen to speak both languages fluently and be a dual citizen.

I just bought last May (in France) an Acer Aspire One netbook as well. I am not laughing, since I also have a power house Sony VAIO laptop, as well as Linux machines and a Macbook Pro 15.  I use the Acer for travel and after having added 1 Gig of RAM, the machine runs like a charm with Win 7 starter edition .

However, there is always the possibility of buying the machine online. Amazon France for example, will give you the choice to have yourWindows 7 version either in French or in any other language .

I just purchased a laptop for one of my employees in France and when configuring the machine, I was asking which language I would like the version of Windows to be in.

This being said, Windows 7 Ultimate is the way to go, given all the added capabilities in terms of security and networking.

COLINPARTINGTON
Found this helpful 0
COLINPARTINGTON replied on

IN RESPONSE TO pbot Corsican who says that  Amazon.fr will supply computers in either French or English. 
THIS IS NOT TRUE !   I ASKED AMAZON.FR IF I COULD HAVE A COMPUTER SUPPLIED IN ENGLISH RATHER THAN FRENCH . THEY SAID THAT THEY DID NOT CONCERN THEMSELVES WITH THE TECHNICAL ASPECTS OF COMPUTERS THEY SUPPLY AND THAT I SHOULD CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER MYSELF IN EACH CASE. THIS, OF COURSE IS A COMPLEX PROCEDURE. TO FIND THE RIGHT DEPARTMENT IN WHAT IS OFTEN A FOREIGN FIRM IS TO SAY THE LEAST, A DAUNTING PROSPECT!!
nikoripka
Found this helpful 0
nikoripka replied on

No, you don't.

Try Vistalizator. With this app, you can change your Windows language for free, even if you don't have the Ultimate version.

Good luck!

Niko

Johanvc1000
Found this helpful 0
Johanvc1000 replied on
Hi,

Would it work to install with any english Home Premium CD, but just use my CD key?
george1009
Found this helpful 0
george1009 replied on

Anyone thinking about using Vistalizator, DON'T.  It modifies critical system files which renders your windows to go non-genuine. see this:

Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next