Is Windows 10 much better than Windows 7

Hello everyone

Ok I hope some of you might help me in deciding if I should upgrade to Windows 10 or just stay with Windows 7.  I know that now that Windows 8 came out there has been a lot of people who don't like it and wish the would have stayed with Windows 7 and I know my former boss switched from Windows 7 to Window 8 and they do not like it at all they have so many problems with it and when Windows 8 came out I wanted to upgrade to it and asked a member from the Geek Squad from Best Buy if I should upgrade and he told me no don't do it just stay with Windows 7. Now I know that times change and so does technology and of course things do get better but my concern is this upgrade to Windows 10 I don't want to upgrade to something I don't know nothing about I only know Windows 7 and I think I'm right by saying that if I do upgrade to Windows 10 I will no longer be able to go back to Windows 7 so I hope you all understand where I'm coming from with this issue. I hope that you all can help me make the right decision. 

Thanks Armando

Answer
Answer

I suggest you setup a dual boot configuration, try it out and see if its something you like.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-previous-versions/9695dfc7-1c13-4d8d-b10b-587e78c6ac36

Pros:

• Free for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users

• Simple setup and migration experience

• Minimal learning curve, familiar user experience

• Appropriate balance of classic and modern

• Mouse, Keyboard and Touch friendly.

• Return of customizable Start menu

• Improved setup and recovery tools (rollback), backup

• Richer cohesive, modern Settings app

• Stable, robust modern entertainment and productivity apps

• Customizable Universal (modern) apps – ability float on desktop, resize, snap.

• Cortana digital assistant productivity benefits and accuracy

• Task View for managing applications

• Snap Assist for managing on screen windows more effectively.

• Action Center for centralizing and managing app and system notifications

• Clean, powerful modern web browser – Microsoft Edge

• Stays ever green with ongoing improvements

• Windows Update local network updating

• Clean modern, logical, user interface with less distractions.

Cons

• Two step process for performing a clean install and activation compliance check and 32 to 64 bit migrations.

• Action Center limited options for notifications – can’t respond a tweet on the fly.

• Mandatory Automatic Updates gives users less control over managing updates they might not want or can potential cause damage.

• Microsoft Edge lacking Thumbnail Previews when multiple tabs are open

• No extension model in Edge, some sites will still need to depend on Internet Explorer.

• Some functions have been moved around that will require familiarization.

• Number of Control Panel items have not been modernized.

• Network Flyout does not support setting connection as a Metered Connection.

What are some of the new improvements in Windows 10?

• Customizable Start experience.
  • Refreshed icons and graphics
  • Integration with Microsoft's digital assistant - Cortana, can be used for finding and retrieving information on the Internet and your PC, such as files. You can also use it to control applications such as the Music Player and prepare an email message or track a package.
  • Task View for managing applications using multiple desktops.
  • Modern apps can now be windowed and behave just like desktop apps.
  • Notification Center for centralized management of notifications and quick access to PC settings.
  • Universal applications that work not only on your Windows 10 PC, but also your mobile phone running Windows 10 and also XBOX One.
  • XBOX App for Streaming of live games to a PC or Tablet
  • Touch optimized Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, OneNote and PowerPoint). Providing the power of Office on devices with touch support. Users can edit, prepare documents, spreadsheets and presentations with full document fidelity regardless of device.
  • Continuum Mode - if you own a 2 in 1 form factor that works both as a laptop and tablet, you can easily let Windows 10 decide the best environment for you. Once detached into Tablet mode for instance, you can work in a more touch optimized user interface. Users will also be able to remotely use Windows 10 Mobile apps on their Windows PCs.
  • Microsoft Edge - Windows 10 will include a next generation web browser called Edge that support advances in Windows 10 such as Cortana for finding information on the web, Annotation, PDF support, superior reading experience.
  • Music and playlist integration in OneDrive.
  • Unified messaging using Skype Integration
  • Windows Hello and Passport for personalized authentication without the use of passwords.
  • Device Guard for protecting devices against malicious applications.
  • Support for media formats such as FLAC and MKV

Which features will be removed when I upgrade from a previous version of Windows?

Feature deprecation section

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
  • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
  • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
  • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
  • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
  • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.
  • Windows Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode

Source:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-specifications

Is Media Center supported in Windows 10?

No. Persons who need to use Media Center should consider carefully before upgrading from their previous version of Windows. The Windows 10 upgrade will automatically remove any installations of Media Center.

So what are the alternatives if I need Media Center?

Your best option is to continue running your existing version of Windows with Media Center.

• Windows 7 editions that include Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2020.
  • Windows 8 Pro with Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2023.

Will Windows Media Center be available in Windows 10?

Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won’t be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

I use Windows Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode. What will happen to them if I upgrade to Windows 10?

Please note your existing Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode will not work in Windows 10. You can review the following as a possible work around if you need to.

http://lifehacker.com/5965889/how-to-run-windows-xp-for-free-in-windows-8

Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise/Education includes a built in Hypervisor called Hyper-V which you can use to setup virtual machines.

Learn more:

How to setup a virtual machine using Hyper-V

Please note, Hyper-V does not include a Windows license, you will need to provide and install your own.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2021 Views 10,534 Applies to: