Getting error code: 0x8020001B-0X90017 at 79%, while upgrading to Windows 10

Original title: windows 10

I tried to upgrade my windows 8.1 to 10 but once it gets to 79% i get this error code: 0x8020001B-0X90017, what do ido?

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

How you're trying to upgrade your PC to Windows 10?

Is it through Windows Update or using Media Creation Tool?

Is your PC running with any third party Anti-virus Software?

If an upgrade gets interrupted, then the reason might be any of the below:

* Problem with Background services

* Antivirus running on your PC

* Unknown application creating conflicts on background

* Some drivers malfunctioning

Ensure that the services Windows Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Cryptographic Service are running on background. To check the same press Windows Key +R, type services.msc and press Enter Key. In the services windows, check these and make sure these services are running accordingly.

Sometimes, incompatible Antivirus software might interrupt the Upgrade process. Temporarily disable the antivirus software, if any available, in case it is causing any conflict to upgrade. Try to uninstall all the unwanted application or add-on through Control Panel.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats.  In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If you want to Upgrade or Install Windows 10 immediately, then you can use Media Creation Tool. Once you download the tool, run it and select Upgrade this PC now. You can also able create a bootable USB or DVD through Media Creation Tool. Try to upgrade your PC to windows 10 using that either to 32 or 64 bit, as you require.

Refer to the following articles to know more about Windows 10 and the steps that you need to take care before installing Windows 10:

How to troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation

How to a list of things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I did all that and am still getting the same result, any other things i could try?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us with an update.

But you haven't answered my questions, which actually requires to analyze the issue.

How you're trying to upgrade your PC to Windows 10?

Is it through Windows Update or using Media Creation Tool?

Is your PC running with any third party Anti-virus Software?

If you haven't tried or if you want to Upgrade or Install Windows 10 immediately, then you can use Media Creation Tool. Once you download the tool, run it and select Upgrade this PC now. You can also able create a bootable USB or DVD through Media Creation Tool. Try to upgrade your PC to windows 10 using that either to 32 or 64 bit, as you require.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using media creation tool and i have disabled my antivirus, my system is a hp 250 g2

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for providing the details?

Test this issue by creating another User Profile to see if the problem still happens. Refer the article Set up accounts on Windows 10. Once you create another User Profile, initiate Upgrade process from that account to see if the same issue appears there.

If in case problem still happening, then upgrade the PC by taking it into clean boot. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program. Refer the below article on "How to Perform Clean Boot". After taking your PC into Clean Boot, initiate Upgrade process.

Note: After you finish troubleshooting, refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the same article.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried all to no avail, set up another account and it didn`t even progress at all put it into clean boot and the same problem persists.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Daniel,

We're really to hear the inconvenience you're going through.

Since you tried all troubleshooting steps, but the problem still appears. You can only test this by performing a system Refresh. If your PC isn't performing as well as it once did or getting errors during upgrade, and you don't know why, you can refresh your PC without deleting any of your personal files or changing your settings.

Note

• If you upgraded your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and your PC has a Windows 8 recovery partition, refreshing your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the refresh has finished.

Warning

• Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

To refresh your PC

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap or click Get started.

4. Follow the instructions on the screen. Once you complete the Refresh, initiate the upgrade process using Media Creation Tool to see if it works fine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It didn't work am tired of it getting stuck always at 79% after 4 or 5 hours,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Daniel,

Apology for the delay in response. Is that problem still appearing?

I guess some application or might be some drivers is causing this issue. Go to Manufacturer website, then check for the latest Windows 10 drivers for your device. You can search them using your device model number. If you find, try to install them and post which initiate the upgrade process.

Also try to remove unwanted applications through Control Panel from your PC, which you thing could be suspicious. Mostly they might be causing some issue. During upgrade, try to unplug all externally connected devices (I.e. Printer, Scanner, SSD or any USB stick) till the time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2019 Views 575 Applies to: