Windows 10 update has failed a dozen times with 80070002-20009

Windows 10 keeps trying to install but fails every time. The failure appears to be when it tries to save the old Windows 7 so I can go back to it.  What can I do at this point? I have now hidden the last Windows 10 download. I have Windows 10 on two other machines, and I can live with it without wanting to go back to Windows 7. Is there a way to just install Windows 10 without the rollback option?

Hi Jav,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing an issue while upgrading to Windows 10 with the error code 80070002-20009, we will help you to resolve this issue.

If you receive Windows Update Error 80070002 is displayed when searching for updates, you must remove the temporary update files that Windows uses to identify updates on the computer. Stop the Windows Update service to remove the temporary files, delete the temporary update files, restart the Windows Update service, and perform the search again after Windows updates.

I suggest you to refer to the below link and perform the troubleshooting steps:

Windows Update error 80070002

Also, check if you are able to install Windows 7 SP1 on your computer.

After successfully installing, you can upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows Upgrade channel.

I would like to inform that, if you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, you will no need to roll back to the previous version.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Deepika,

thank you for your detailed directions.

The process of checking the Machine  took over 6 hours, not sure because I had to go to bed.

this morning I saw that it was ready to install. I clicked Next at 6:15 AM

Now after about 9 hours it is sitting at 85% I can see it working. 

I am assuming that at some point it will show me either success or failure 

Should I let it keep going? I can let it run all night again, but just wanted to make sure.

thanks for your help

javed

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Deepika,

As I mentioned in my previous reply, the Installation went up to 85%. At the time I wrote the last note, it was sitting at 85% for a few hours.  I left it to run overnight.  After 25 hours the progress was still at 85%.  At that point I clicked Cancel, and as the page disappeared, I was in my Windows 7.  It looks like I was in Windows 7 for the entire 25 hours with Windows 10 installation screen merely covering it and showing a spinning wheel.

Now my Update has another Upgrade to Windows 10 message with a Get Stared button for the last 4 days.  I have been putting the machine to sleep to avoid another unsuccessful install.  If the previous installation attempt created any logs, they should still be intact. If it will be helpful to diagnose the reason for the failure, your team is welcome to connect to my computer. Please let me know.

Javed

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 has now tried to install at least 20 times.  I cannot stop it. I am concerned that it is slowly screwing up my Windows 7 setup also.

I have two previous emails in this very thread outlining the problem in detail - but they have gone unanswered.

I need help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am still having problem. After about 20 tries windows 10 install continues to fail. Please help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2018 Views 727 Applies to: