Windows 10 System Memory leak

When I go on the task manager the system program is using over a gig of ram for some reason. Is this a bug or something?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to  the Microsoft Community.

Did you upgrade your computer from Windows updates or ISO?

I suggest you to open the task manager and click on performance. Under performance, you will see open resources monitor. Once you select that , it will let you know which are process or services accessing the ram usages.

You can also check this link below where Andre Da costa discussed about this issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-disk-space/26266adf-d5bd-4589-9129-930684a959a3

Thanks

Thank & Regards,

SuJata Moktan.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there

I have exactly the same problem. The process System eats 1/2 of the physical memory. I install Win 10 from a ISO. does it matter at all how i install it?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

And BTW i have two Lenovo laptops and one desktop and the problem is similar. 700M-1G of memory is constantly taken by SYSTEM process. In details i see this file:

ntoskrnl.exe

that is causing the problem

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been using Windows 10 few days and I notice that the 'system' task process took about 1 and half GB of my 8 GB of RAM. I never had this problem in Windows 8.1 before. I thought it might be the Windows Defender, or maintenance schedule running in the background. But nothing just this 'system' process alone. My computer getting slow sometimes. 

I install windows 10 through update. Any suggestion? I don't have time to fix this :(. Please provide an update quickly. 

Update:

Almost 2 GB

Update:

Now I have left about 300-400 MB because this 'system process'. My computer is slow. This is not the first time. I restarted my computer and still have this problem.

Everything is energy AND random (string theory is invalid) - Albert Einstein & MaXi32

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have this problem on Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8.1. My system is an ASUS notebook (2013) with 4gb RAM. System takes about 500MB of RAM (even more) making the system very slow (95% memory occupied)which is fixed temporarily after restart. I have found a possible solution. the problem is in the network data usage which has a problem with memory leak. Updating network adapter drivers (i have realtek gigabit ethernet and qualcomm atheros wi-fi) didn't fix this so i turned off this service. To do this, press Win+R, type regedit, then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu and change Start value to 4 (mine was 2) to disable. this will turn off data usage monitoring which may be bad for those with data quotes. Hope this helps.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem too, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using Windows update

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gosh! Thank you, very much! Looks like it helps me!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Followed your step by editing the registry key and reboot. Still got around 1 GB at the system process. :\.

Updated:

2.6 GB now reserved by the System.

Hey Support Engineer, any update on this? I have to restart my computer many times per day???

Updated:

I solved it by changing the registry (different from @Alex DC). Open notepad, save the below text (after the start line and before the end line) as .reg extension and run the file:

--------------- START ----------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\TimeBroker]
"Start"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SysMain]
"DisplayName"="Superfetch"
"Start"=dword:00000003

---------- END -----------------------

Now my System process has less than 0.1 MB. Of course you need to reboot your computer first.

Everything is energy AND random (string theory is invalid) - Albert Einstein & MaXi32

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have about the same problem. Only one thing is different, taskmanager tells me that about 75% of memory is used but that is way more then what I see in the list. Have a total of 8GB RAM. So some program is using RAM that is not noticed by task manager.

After a few hour the system uses more and more memory unitl 99% and then it freezes.

What should i do?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can use this utility called Sysinternal Process Explorer from Microsoft Tech to check whether there are hidden processes that consumed your RAM:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

I think the 'System' process should not be more than 1 MB. Yours is 100 MB+ and that is unusual. I fixed the 'System' process memory leak by executing the registry that I posted previously. Now the 'System' process stays 0.1 MB and never increase. No more problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

But why should I have to do all this just because of an update from Microsoft?  This is the first update that I have had so much trouble with.  Microsoft geeks really screwed up this update. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 30, 2023 Views 28,607 Applies to: