Windows 10 Bad_System_Config_Info

After waiting for quite some time, it stopped giving me the error code 80240020 to install windows 10 in the windows update. It finally downloaded and took a good hour or so to finish everything. The first time it started, it had a very weird resolution, my icons were much to big to fit the screen, I changed the icon size to the smallest view and it still wouldn't work. I had too many icons for sure but it fit on my windows 7 home premium just fine. 

I decided to restart the computer to see if that would fix it and instead I got the blue screen saying Bad_System_Config_Info and I tried searching it online, but I'm always the lucky one and I get errors that no one even got till now so I have no capability of trying to fix this on my own. I've tried using everything, system recover point, system image, and system repair. I've even tried resetting the PC where it saved everything but it just puts the OS over again, and even that failed. The Systems recover point said it had no created point to go back to which is a lie because it just upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7.

I also tried the system startup repair and it went into a screen where it said diagnosing the PC or w/e and then it came back with this screen. 

As of now, at this point I have no idea what to do, nothing is working, and I'm afraid to try to reset the PC but instead wipe everything, (instead of the option that has me keeping my files) and I don't really want to do that. Any suggestions on whats going on? Thanks in advance!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Windows Ten does not delete the factory recovery partition. You would have to deliberately delete it during a booted clean install. If you did not do this then try running factory recovery using the method given for your PC to use a hot key to recover from boot.  If this does not work and you can still boot into Windows then you can add the recovery partition to a Windows boot menu for the purpose of running it following the steps here to Boot Recovery Partition Using EasyBCD. 

If Recovery partition cannot boot then you will need to clean reinstall following one of the links I posted to tutorials above earlier.  This time after install is set up and activated save a backup image in Backup Center to apply in place of reinstall in 20 minutes.  Windows 10 Upgrade does not affect the previous OS license 

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you know how many times i spoke to windows support?

I had been almost twice a day along 4 days.

No one could give me a solution, i provided it by myself, taking out my hdd, copiyng every file to another laptop, and then made a clean w10 install...still waiting a generic activation code...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are no Product Keys for free Windows 10 Upgrade offer.  

You'll need to follow the steps I gave you to  Clean Install Windows 7, booting the installer to delete all partitions, update fully, Activate, then do the Upgrade by Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help .

Others have reported that they can Shrink C in Disk Mgmt, install Windows 7, activate, then Upgrade, confirm Activation, and the Clean install will Activate shortly thereafter.  Then the temporary install can be deleted in Disk mgmt to Extend C back over it. 

Let me know if you have any questions about either option which are your only paths to the free Upgrade now.

Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After waiting for quite some time, it stopped giving me the error code 80240020 to install windows 10 in the windows update. It finally downloaded and took a good hour or so to finish everything. The first time it started, it had a very weird resolution, my icons were much to big to fit the screen, I changed the icon size to the smallest view and it still wouldn't work. I had too many icons for sure but it fit on my windows 7 home premium just fine. 

I decided to restart the computer to see if that would fix it and instead I got the blue screen saying Bad_System_Config_Info and I tried searching it online, but I'm always the lucky one and I get errors that no one even got till now so I have no capability of trying to fix this on my own. I've tried using everything, system recover point, system image, and system repair. I've even tried resetting the PC where it saved everything but it just puts the OS over again, and even that failed. The Systems recover point said it had no created point to go back to which is a lie because it just upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7.

I also tried the system startup repair and it went into a screen where it said diagnosing the PC or w/e and then it came back with this screen. 

As of now, at this point I have no idea what to do, nothing is working, and I'm afraid to try to reset the PC but instead wipe everything, (instead of the option that has me keeping my files) and I don't really want to do that. Any suggestions on whats going on? Thanks in advance!

I didn't do anything wrong except for trying to install Optifine please help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you first start up Windows 10 you might have bad screen resolution and even other issues because drivers and other vital patches delivered by Windows Updates are in a queue to be installed and may take a day or two to work their way through to the point they need a reboot to finish.  For this reason I recommend to immediately after getting to the desktop, type Update in Start Search box, select Check for Updates and then expedite all Updates including Recommended. 

Once  Updates are installed go back to check for more until none are offered.  Then right click the Start Button to check Device Manager for any drivers still missing or in error with a !.  Import these drivers from the Support Downloads webpage for your PC or the device; if Windows 10 drivers are not available, then try 8.1, 8 or 7 in that order.  Updating drivers should also correct errors but if not try uninstalling them to reboot. 

For the Reset you did, did you choose to Save anything?  These problems can be caused by corruption carried over from previous OS programs or settings.  For this reason I'd try Reset saving nothing.  Make sure to back up your files and locate your program installers first. 

If that doesn't help it could come down to corruption on the physical hard drive itself or even in the Reset process, needing all partitions deleted during a booted Clean Install Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.  

Ask back any questions you need to try these things fully and completely. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Guten Abend,

ich habe ein ähnliches Problem nach einem automatischen Windows Update bekomme ich auch die Meldung BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO nur nutze ich Windows 10 schon ewig quasi seit dem es das Insider Programm gibt. Habe ganz viele Updates mitgemacht alles ohne Probleme, doch jetzt das :-(

Darauf folgt:

Ein Neustart bringt nur wieder die erste Meldung und alle mir möglichen Optionen über Erweiterte Optionen habe ich ebenfalls ohne erfolg getestet

PC zurücksetzen:

Zur Vorherigen Build zurückkehren:

Systemwiederherstellen geht auch nicht da ich kein Systemabbild habe und die Starthilfe meldet folgendes:

Zusätzlich habe ich versucht mit einer Windows 10 ISO das System zu retten, doch dieses meldet wenn ich auswähle ich möchte meine Dateien behalten, dass ich den PC starten soll und vom Desktop den Installationsprozess wiederholen soll. Nur wie wenn der PC nicht startet.

Jetzt würde ich gerne wissen, ob es noch eine andere Möglichkeit gibt, außer die Eigenen Dateien über den Installationsprozess zu retten und eine Neuinstallation auszuführen, Windows wieder zum laufen zu bekommen.

Danke für jeden Tip würde dann gerne meinen PC mal wieder nutzen.

I hope it dosn't matter that i answer in german

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry but while I love visiting Germany and am grandson to German immigrants, I do not speak German. 

Using one of the methods How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8 or 10  please see if any other option will help:  Safe Mode, Reset, Command Prompt or Go Back to old OS. 

Safe Mode or Command Prompt may allow some of the repairs in

Windows 10 Upgrade Performance Troubleshooting - Basics - Microsoft Community

If not please explain in English what you have done and wish to do, or at the bottom of the page you click on English to change forum Language.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I call my Question in the German Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem It seems as most of the computers used here are Dell computers.  I use a certified Refurbished HP computer, and can't boot into any kind of OS.  I need help to discover the answers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If this is the HP Factory install then that's the worst install of Windows in the industry, larded with bloatware and a dozen badly written utilities that duplicate and interfere with Windows.  You'd be much better off doing a Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade  to go from the very worst to the very best. 

Otherwise use whichever method works  How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8 or 10  to access Troubleshoot Options to attempt Startup Repair, System Restore or a Reset. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2024 Views 15,971 Applies to: