How to uninstall and reinstall windows 10

I did not have my microsoft password handy when I installed Windows 10 so I said not to sign in with it. There fore I have my old desktop and only half of the things seem to work.When I checked into how to get the full windows experience and how to get the tiles  it says to sign in my going to the start button and clicking on settings.   On the start button, I can only right click and things like settings are not there. I was thinking of uninstalling windows 10 completely and then reinstalling it so that it all works properly. When I go to the install/uninstall page I can't find exactly what I should uninstall. By the way I keep getting on question and answer pages that windows 10 is installed on this machine but that these questions and answers are for another version of windows and when I click to go where they want me to go, I end up in Dante's Circles of hell and just keep going around and around with no solutions. Someone please just tell me what to look for on the uninstall of windows 10 and I will do that. But there is no windows 10 listed on installed programs.

Thanks

Danni

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family. I would like to assist you.

Please be informed that Windows 10 cannot be uninstalled like any standalone program or application. Still, if you want to revert to your previous operating system, you have to either install the Operating system using an ISO image depending upon the version and the edition of Windows you are using. You can also use the Windows 10 Rollback feature if you upgraded from a previous Operating System.

Please refer to the below link to download an ISO image of Windows Operating system to install it in your computer.

Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

However, you would still need a product key which can be purchased from Microsoft Store in order to activate the product to be able to use it.

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Danni -

Did you do the free Upgrade, and if so is it confirmed Activated?  If so then you can make reinstallation media at Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help by choosing "For another PC" and then formatting for your matching version a flash stick installer, or save an ISO to burn to DVD.

Then you can boot the installer, delete all partitions during the Clean Install Windows 10 .

For free Upgrade during reactivation it should recognize the hardware configuration from the previous Upgrade activation and allow Reinstall.  However there are some problems right now with Reinstalls of Upgrade activating correctly.  We are waiting for a solution which can be monitored in this thread.  

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why do I need a product key for a product that was forced on me??  I don't like Windows10, half the time it doesn't work and IE is a joke.  I'd really like to go back but the MS restriction on time has passed.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thats easy and faster way :)

First step, download Windows 10 iso file use Media Creation Tool.

Take it :D

Windows 10 ISO image

Seccond step: Select: Create instalation media.

Ps. Other site having Windows 10

Next step: When you download dvd image, mount iso file and press setup.exe

Poznaj Windows 10 -> www.facebook.com/PoznajWindows10

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You don't need a Product Key unless it won't activate, then insert your old Windows Product key in Settings>System>About after confirming you have version 1511 there.

If you have performance problems it is due to the inferior Upgrade install or Factory Install, or both.  Most tech enthusiasts would never run such an install in the first place.  If you want the best possible install which has no complaints then do the Clean Install Windows 10.

Until then you can go over the Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist.

If you want to work with us politely and not just complain, we will help you sort out your install so it runs like ours do, which are much better than any prevous OS. 

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the question 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have not been able to open the Start menu.  I have downloaded the Reimage program, tried it a few times but it still does not make the Start menu available.  David Blahnik

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2024 Views 36,530 Applies to: