0xC1900101 - 0x40017 The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error BOOT operation

Unable to Upgrade to Windows 10 with the following message

0xC1900101 - 0x40017 The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error BOOT operation

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then try to upgrade.

Also refer to the help articles below and check if it helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-a-list-of-things-to-do-if-windows-10-setup/eba3c864-d9fe-4f8e-9468-81b1f89473ed

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the suggestion but that didn't work.   I suspect it is a driver issue but which one?   Is there an installation log file that might pin it down?
James Glenn

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can find your log files in 

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther

called 

setupact.log

and 

setuperr.log

you may need to copy them to desktop or other folder before you can read them

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm encountering the same problem, and none of these suggestions have actually helped.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having this error as well (upgrading to Windows 8.1 on a Lenovo Yoga 2). I've tried pretty much all the advice that I've found on this site and others. Nothing has worked so far.

I just got done with a long Microsoft Help Desk chat. Sadly, I'm no further towards finding a solution. Had a bit of a difficult time convincing the person I was chatting with to take a look at the setuperr.log file - that's really the key to understanding this issue (for those wondering - it's located in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther). This should explain what's going wrong and where it's gone wrong. I'm not astute enough to be able to read it.

The support tech took a look at the file, but wasn't able to find the driver that's causing the fault (perhaps he didn't really know how to read the file either?).  In any case, the tech support team will be calling me in 24-48 hours. I'll share my updates with you all. This problem gotten attention, so hopefully we get an answer soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem regardless if I use Windows Update or install using the ISO file. I haven't seen anyone post a solution anywhere that works.

Microsoft, I have to say once again, "Nice work!". [Sarcasm there]. I have a Dell laptop with McAfee and everything else is just as mainstream. I'm also not the first person to have an NVIDIA driver installed that may not be the latest version. Perhaps the installation should check that and tell us if that's going to be an issue.  

Please, please, please, don't give us a laundry list of disable this, update that, stuff that is going to take us an entire day and still not work. This upgrade should work. We are all glad to provide error codes and logs for you to figure this out. But don't make us do your work for you. We are neither beta-testers nor paid employees of Microsoft. We are your customers.

If anyone gets something that works, please post it here. And, might I respectfully request, please make it the short version. Step 1, step 2, step 3, etc. That's all we need.

Thank you,

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I fought with the computer ever since the release trying to figure out what was causing that error on my computer. What was stopping me was a BIOS update that improved USB functionality on my motherboard. I can't say if it'll help you, but it's something I haven't seen suggested yet.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I originally posted this on another thread, but they were having a Windows 10 older build - Windows 10 new build upgrade issue.  My issue is a Windows 8.1 - Windows 10 (via the Media Creation tool)

I have been getting the exact same error at the 75% overall mark (91% of installing features and drivers) while doing the official upgrade (using the Microsoft tool to upgrade, not waiting for the Reservation to Notify me.)

We shouldn't need to do what I tried just to upgrade, and I wouldn't expect an average user to do most of this stuff.

After a few bad attempts and it reverting back to 8.1, I did a system backup and then started uninstalling things:

* Upgraded my NIC Drivers (they were from 2013, now late 2014)

* Uninstalled MalwareBytes

* Antivirus is Microsoft's built in Defender (not disabled)

* All Windows Updates are done (except Skype 7.3)

* Checked for motherboard BIOS update. There is none.

* Uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage software, and other Intel Driver Update software (not chipset stuff obviously)

* Ran the Intel Chipset Upgrade tool to see if there were any upgrades (there were not)

* Removed all old Nvidia video drivers and converted it back to basic VGA. (I was running the latest Nvidia driver before)

* Removed my Razor mouse (as I was getting an install window for its software in the middle of the upgrade).

* Removed my Logitech G15 gaming keyboard

* plugged in a Microsoft wireless keyboard & mouse

* Removed all hidden hardware (CMD prompt, set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, then run MSMGMT.MSC and show Hidden Devices)

* Disabled my USB 3.0 port from my EVGA X58 FTW motherboard via the BIOS and removed the driver.

* Disabled my Realtek audio hardware via the BIOS and removed the driver. (running latest driver before)

* Removed the hidden directories on the C:\ drive that the Windows 10 upgrade puts there.

* Removed the files under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

* Cleaned up some software while I was there just because I wasn't using it much.

* Cleaned up some folders under C:\ProgramData as I had removed the software.

After doing all this (and more), I had 200GB free on my C:\ (space was never an issue but better safe than sorry). I rebooted and re-ran the MediaCreation application and did the Upgrade this PC option.

Same thing! 75% it rebooted and I got the 0xC1900101 - 0x40017 error (failed on SECOND_BOOT), etc. What would be nice is a "plain language" error message, or log file that says exactly what Driver it had the issue with. It would at least help us get past it.

SO, I came across this website and will try this tonight:

http://www.rbrussell.com/2014/12/28/windows-8-1-windows-10-update-error-0xc1900101-0x40017-solved/

I am also going to unplug my other three hard drives (and maybe my DVD) and have just my C:\ plugged in.

I also remember I have a Hauppauge tuner card in my computer, which I will remove before my next attempt.

I may also disable all USB 1.0 support in my BIOS.

I will update this post if I have any success (or not).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Shawn please let us know after you retried the upgrade with other hard disks removed. I suspect that multiple hard disks and partitions may contribute to the problem. I also have a 2nd hard drive.

In my case removing all USB devices and disabling the antivirus did not do anything. I'll also try to disconnect the 2nd drive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Man-o-man, that's a lot of configuration changes that you have done already. I am going to try to run RBRussell suggestions that you had provided the link. I come across that site myself a day or two ago, but didn't have the time to give it a good read. I have today off from work and will go through the motions of what's what in hopes of getting and upgrade of W10Pro on the Surface Pro 128. I've already taken the system back to original Windows 8.0 (yuke) and have upgraded to the free Windows 8.1 Pro. Now that has completed, I'll run all the MS updates and give the W10Pro upgrade another shot. I'll report back my findings whether they are positive or not. Good luck to us all.
Don't back down when you are right!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 26, 2022 Views 7,234 Applies to: