"Windows is activated using your organization's activation service"

So... I'm having an issue here I hope you guys will be able to help me with. Here's the story:

Last summer i took the free upgrade to Windows 10 option Microsoft was offering. Everything went fine there, and I linked my copy to my Microsoft account. Later that year I bought a completely new computer. Skimped on the HDD though and used my old one after a full format. Windows 10 activated without a problem at that point via my MS account. Here's where the problem starts. That HDD is really old and is starting to fail. I had hoped to get some more mileage out of it, but it seems it's not meant to be. So I'm getting an SSD later this month to use as my boot drive, and would do a fresh install and then activate it the same way. But somewhere along the line something happened, and when I went to check my Activation tab in Settings, under "Activation" it says "Windows is activated using your organization's activation service". This computer is no part of any organization nor was it ever. It's a computer I ordered the parts for and assembled myself and had a genuine activated copy of Windows 10 running since day 1. And no, I am not getting a message saying that my license will expire soon. Neither is a system restore point an option because I didn't make on since I assembled this PC.

Does anyone know how this happened, and much more importantly, how to fix this so that I can activate my copy of Windows 10 again on my SSD when it arrives? 

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

EDIT: I used O&O ShutUp10 to disable Telemetry and tweak various other data collecting and privacy settings if that is relevant somehow. Microsoft is getting increasingly way too invasive...

Which edition of Windows 10 was originally installed prior to transferring to the new computer?

Have you ran the Troubleshooter to find out what is the problem?

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Troubleshooter

Windows 10 Activation reports your license will soon expire.

This can happen for a number of reasons:

• You copied a Windows 10 Pro off the Internet (usually a volume license - organization - key) and changed on a Windows 10 Home installation. Windows 10 Pro is not free. If this is what you did, you will need to reinstall the previous edition or version you were running. You inadvertently installed the wrong edition.
    • The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:

• Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core will install Windows 10 Home

• Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro will install Windows 10 Pro

To find out if you have the right edition installed:

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Edition.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

122 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 12, 2023 Views 43,600 Applies to: